Author Topic: Pruning established plum trees  (Read 1405 times)

FloBen

• Not So New ...
  • We love Cabbages
    • Bluebell Allotments
Pruning established plum trees
« on: September 28, 2004, 17:40:22 »
Hello,

We've just taken over a plot which has two established plum trees on it I(lucky us!). They are looking a bit tatty and are maybe generating a bit too much shade - can anyone advise on pruning?

Should we do it now? how much can we cut back? will it impact on next year harvest?

thanks,

Ben and Flo
'We love cabbages'

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Pruning established plum trees
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 19:19:17 »
No expert on plums-but hold back on those pruning shears-until someone with more knowledge arrives.

They should be `summer` pruned-is this still summer?

Stephan

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 19:28:36 »
I think Stephan it may be pushing it a bit to prune now? Something to do with Silver Leaf? FloBen my one is looking in need of a good hack back  :o think we were supposed to do it between late spring and summer :-\  I too shall await a pruning hexpert to reply, as Stephan says, hold back on them shears! DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 19:42:08 »
Definitely too late to prune now. Silver leaf is a fungal disease which enters through damaged bark, as in pruning cuts. It is more prevalent from September on. Pruning is not usually necessary on established trees, but tell that to mine. It is normally done between June and the end of August. Always paint over the cuts with wound paint (a kind of wax). Usually all you need to do is to remove any dead branches, then any that cross and rub, then any going in the wrong direction and finally thin out the crown to let air and light get into the middle of the tree. When cutting prune back to a leaf joint. It is just like pruning a big rose.
Need anymore info?
Gardening is the great leveller.

FloBen

• Not So New ...
  • We love Cabbages
    • Bluebell Allotments
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 19:50:19 »
Thanks everyone - a great help.

The clippers have been returned to the shed!

Ben and Flo
'We love cabbages'

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal