Author Topic: music downloads, where from?  (Read 9299 times)

littlebabybird

• Hectare
music downloads, where from?
« on: June 14, 2009, 16:54:12 »
as above, where can i down load music from?

used to do it by buying tracks from (ntl) virgin but they stopped doing it, before that we used a peer network
i cant use i-tunes  so where can i go?
i would rather pay by track and i need to be able to put the songs from my pc to my mp3 player
thank you
lbb

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: music downloads, where from?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 12:09:17 »
My kids use Limewire......you do have to be a bit selective which files you download, but for their appalling taste in music it suffices and saves me having to buy it...

http://www.limewire.com/about/
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Plebbles

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 12:28:18 »
last fm offers some downloads and it will suggest a lot of new music that you may have never been aware of based on your tastes.

With regard to limewire i find that it takes forever to find a version of the track you want which is licensed. Depends how scrupulous viz. copyright infringement you are though ...

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 12:34:15 »
I used to use Limewire but now it seems to be full of viruses, have heard that the music companies are flooding it with viruses on purpose (stopped me using it!)

Amazon do MP3 downloads, 69p each, have quite a good selection.

If you like dance music/electronica check out www.allez-allez.co.uk or www.getthecurse.com for free DJ mixes, have found some great stuff there and its all legal.

N8R

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 13:07:21 »
peer 2 peer such as installing bittorrent then going to isohunt or any torrent site easiest

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 13:07:45 »
I would avoid Limewire like the plague.

If you want to do it legally then amazon has a good selection and is drm free,  or try Napster or nokia online stores.  Everyone can use itunes - you dont need a mac or ipod to download - you can just use the store.  Why can't you use it?  There are also good sites like http://www.emusic.com/ or http://www.7digital.com/ or even tesco http://www.tescodigital.com/Store/

If you want to stream music then services like last.fm or spotify (spotify is fantastic) and if you are being naughty can capture the stream.

If you want to go illegal I would use a bittorrent client like vuse and search piratebay and the other torrent sites.  You can find entire discographys but no money goes to the artists
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 13:29:41 »
If you use the Torrents, Mininova, BTjunkie, Torrentbox/Isn't with a peer to peer like torrent you can stream them quite quickly.
The reason i put the three above on is because there are comments from downloaders telling you if it is a good download, virus free and works perfect.
Regardless of what site you decide to download from ALWAYS SCAN the folder before you open it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 13:37:48 by davyw1 »
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 14:13:17 »
peer 2 peer such as installing bittorrent then going to isohunt or any torrent site easiest

All pirated, highly illegal, dead easy to track exactly where you are by music companies and comes with heavy fines or imprisonment.

I can't believe people are suggesting this on an open forum!

Just curious as to why can't you use iTunes?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 14:16:47 by Plot69 »
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 16:40:48 »
If you use the Torrents, Mininova, BTjunkie, Torrentbox/Isn't with a peer to peer like torrent you can stream them quite quickly.
The reason i put the three above on is because there are comments from downloaders telling you if it is a good download, virus free and works perfect.
Regardless of what site you decide to download from ALWAYS SCAN the folder before you open it.

Agree with this.  Vuze and some of the above + Demonoid (by membership only) Lime/Frostwire flags up far too many viruses these days, it's definitely one to steer clear of.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 16:43:36 »
I use We7 to listen to music and you can download it but not sure wether or not you can put it onto mp3 player
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Plebbles

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 16:53:16 »
and if you have an android/iphone with the last fm app you can scrobble your spotify account via last fm. Depends how much you want instant plays or if you like random playlists.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 17:03:22 »
the few I downloaded I got from Tesco - 79p a track
The Tuscan Beaneater

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 17:12:46 »
E Music is quite good you get 30 free downloads to start with and then pick what subscription you want price depending on how many tracks that you want to download. AND its legal!!!!! :D
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 18:10:43 »
and if you have an android/iphone with the last fm app you can scrobble your spotify account via last fm.

I feel old....I have no idea what you just said! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 19:56:19 »
Demonoid (by membership only)

Membership is by invitation only. Can't get invitation codes for love nor money... Anyone want one?  ::)
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 20:02:31 »
Now Tony you woul,nt be trying to get into that All pirated, highly illegal, dead easy to track site would you LOL
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 20:05:58 »
Now Tony you woul,nt be trying to get into that All pirated, highly illegal, dead easy to track site would you LOL

No, of course not! The only modern music I listen to lately is Green Day and I already have every single one of their CD's... Actually on CD bought and paid for.

Other than that, all  my music is on Vinyl. (7 and 12 inch plastic discs with grooves in for you youngsters. Before CD's and MP3's were invented).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 20:08:36 by Plot69 »
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 20:51:09 »
Demonoid (by membership only)

Membership is by invitation only. Can't get invitation codes for love nor money... Anyone want one?  ::)

They open their membership for random 24hr spells every now and then and I was lucky enough to get in during April after about a year of trying! :o

Plebbles

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 16:00:51 »

Other than that, all  my music is on Vinyl. (7 and 12 inch plastic discs with grooves in for you youngsters. Before CD's and MP3's were invented).

Hehe. We know what vinyl is, its just that now we only put music on it which has either of the suffixes "step" or "core" in the name.  8)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 16:02:33 by Plebbles »

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 13:45:25 »
Just bumping this because as if by magic, Demonoid has opened up its registrations for 24hrs, so for those that want ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal