Author Topic: Raspberry roots  (Read 2918 times)

Sarah-b

• Acre
Raspberry roots
« on: September 27, 2004, 09:33:04 »
Spent a good part of yesterday digging up rasberry canes from a really overgrown bit of plot. We transplanted them into a nice neat row and dumped a load of manure on top.
Now should I cut the canes down? (They are summer fruiters and currently have nice canes from this years growth.)
The other thing is, some of them only came out of the soil with little roots. Will they wither and die - or doesn't it matter too much?

Thanks,
Sarah

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re:Raspberry roots
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 13:24:05 »
Sarah,

my books say cut them down to a few inches above the ground. So that's what I did, got a reasonable crop this year. I'd bung the lot in (if you want them) and see what happens, if you get some gaps they'll fill up over a couple of seasons.

Jeremy

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 13:26:39 »
So you think if I cut them back, I'll still get some fruit next year?

Cheers,
Sarah.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 14:02:21 »
Summer cropping raspberries flower and crop on last years growth so do not cut back to ground level or you will have no fruit next year.

Give them a geneal tidy up and remove old/diseased wood. Also think about building some support for them.

Jerry

Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 14:15:09 »
No, I don't think you'll get fruit next year. I do think that the plants are more likely to survive being moved. You could try a bit of both -cutting some right back in case the others don't survive.

Jeremy

Learner Gardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 15:34:16 »
How about Autumn raspberrys .... ? Do they fruit on last years growth. I have just taken over a lottie with these and I have never grown them before ?

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 15:58:37 »
How about Autumn raspberrys .... ? Do they fruit on last years growth. I have just taken over a lottie with these and I have never grown them before ?

They grow on this years fruit. You should be picking now.

I tend to cut mine back about a month after the leaves have dropped. Cut back to a few inches above ground level then mulch with a thick layer of manure.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 15:39:32 »
so is that then cut back this yrs cropped growths / and old woody bits and leave the new growth for next ???

carl
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 15:40:01 by carloso »
another member of i forgot my password

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 15:43:31 »
That's right for Summer fruiting rasps, Carloso i.e. cut down canes which bore fruit this year (and any old straggly bits) leave new shoots (more will come as well) as they will bear the fruit next year (when they will be called last years growth!)  and for Autumn fruiting cut all canes down to near ground level.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 15:46:22 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 19:09:35 »
Alternatively keep all the autumn fruiting ones and dig out the summer ones so that you can remember how to prune them, just hack them all down low!!!
It`s the memory you see!!!!!!! :(

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 23:35:54 »
cheers wicker

i have the glen cova variety which are the summer type variety so things looking dandy at the minute

carl
another member of i forgot my password

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal