Author Topic: Another victim joins the white rot club.  (Read 2528 times)

amphibian

Another victim joins the white rot club.
« on: June 06, 2009, 22:12:43 »
My plot had not been cultivated for 10 years when I took it over. Yet today I noticed my shallots wee dying off prematurely. On inspection I found they came out the soil very easily and the roots and bulbs were caked in white fluffy gack. Goes to show how long the spores persist.

No idea if my whole plot is affected or just one area. My plot was split in two before being handed out, my neighbour has healthy looking onions only a few feet away.

To add insult to injury the rotting bulbs are also full of little stripy maggots. No idea what they are, perhaps they were just taking advantage of the weakened plants.

My leeks are meant to be going in to the adjacent bed, a few feet away, are leeks badly hit by white rot?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 22:16:32 by amphibian »

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Another victim joins the white rot club.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 23:01:07 »
Hi Amphibian,

What a shame for you. :(

I am pretty sure that Tim can still grow leeks despite having had white rot in his garden, I am sure I have seen him post about it.

Hopefully he will see this thread and let you know.

Good luck

T.

amphibian

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 06:40:44 »
My plot had not been cultivated for 10 years when I took it over. Yet today I noticed my shallots were dying off prematurely. On inspection I found they came out the soil very easily and the roots and bulbs were caked in white fluffy gack. Goes to show how long the spores persist.

No idea if my whole plot is affected or just one area. My plot was split in two before being handed out, my neighbour has healthy looking onions only a few feet away.

To add insult to injury the rotting bulbs are also full of little stripy maggots. No idea what they are, perhaps they were just taking advantage of the weakened plants, or thw white rot found it easier to infest the maggot eaten shallots; either which way a double whammy of disillusionment. It never gets easier to lose a crop, heartbreaking every time.

My leeks are meant to be going in to the adjacent bed, a few feet away, are leeks badly hit by white rot?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 11:45:55 »
Sadly - they get it!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 12:01:05 »
I have lived here for 16 years now and no onions were grown for at least 15 years before that-and I still cannot grow onions.

But the leeks have been almost `clean` for three years now-a very few still show signs and they get burned

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 12:07:05 »
Same here with my over wintered Jap onions but fotunately got them out of the ground and only lost a few.
Unfortunately the same bed has my garlic, shallots and kelsea onions in so I dont hold out a lot of hope for them.
Another plot on the site has lost 1/4 of his garlic to the same rot.  I am getting to the point of having to give up on onions - is there anything that can be done??
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 21:10:24 »
 :) I dug up the last of my Jap onions today, they have had white rot since March and I've been eating them since then.

going to grow more shallots instead next year and no onions / shades x
grow your own way

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 21:16:48 »
I pulled up all my onions on friday as i found about six that had white rot. Will the ones that look healthy now dry ok? or is it onion soup for the next six weeks?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 22:16:58 »
They should be OK. If any have a trace of the disease it soon becomes obvious.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 22:21:24 »
and if not onion soup is great anyway...  :-X

amphibian

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 22:21:51 »
Well this is all very miserable.  :'(

Just glad my garlic is growing at home, which seems to be rot free.

More of my lawn is going to have to go, if my alliums have to be grown away from the allotment.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 22:23:37 by amphibian »

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 13:27:48 »
be careful of tool hygiene - best have two sets, one for house one for lottie.

The other trick is don't try and grow onions 'just to see' if it's gone. That just resets the clock!

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 14:01:25 »
Yes onion soup is nice but i planted about 3lb of onion sets last October. I've properly got enough onions to fill the chest freezer just with soup!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, Yes i know i went over the top with the sets but i bought so many and then ......well you know bargains ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal