Author Topic: River weed  (Read 1746 times)

Limousin Lass

• Not So New ...
River weed
« on: June 06, 2009, 06:47:32 »
We have a small stream bisecting out property, an area of about 3 metres either side of the bridge has stone walls to shore up the banks and also the bed of the stream in this area has been concreted over.  The concret is covered in weed which I would like to clear, do I put it on the conmpost heap or would it be OK to use as a mulch on the veggie plot?  The stream starts off as a couple of springs in the woods above us and there are no farmed areas around so the water is pretty pure.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: River weed
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 11:53:57 »
Fish it out, but leave it by the stream for a while to dry out... near enough for  the "creepy-crawlies" to be able to get back into the stream. It'll be easier to handle dry and can be used as a top dressing or put inot the compost.  :)

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 16:51:13 »
Fish it out, but leave it by the stream for a while to dry out... near enough for  the "creepy-crawlies" to be able to get back into the stream. It'll be easier to handle dry and can be used as a top dressing or put inot the compost.  :)

Couldn't have put it better saddad.  :)

Limousin Lass

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 17:21:04 »
Thanks saddad, if it will stop raining for more than 5 minutesI'll climb in and clear it out.  I can leave it on top of the the wall so any creepy crawlies, etc can easily find their way back into the stream (but if I find any crayfish they're going in the freezer ready for the BBQ  ;D)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 17:40:49 »
(but if I find any crayfish they're going in the freezer ready for the BBQ  ;D)
Signal crayfish yes, but the native crayfish is scarce and protected - please put it back.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Limousin Lass

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 20:05:39 »
(but if I find any crayfish they're going in the freezer ready for the BBQ  ;D)
Signal crayfish yes, but the native crayfish is scarce and protected - please put it back.

Don't worry Unwashed, The person we bought the house from showed us which ones we could take and the best places to find them.  I think we have only seen 2 native ones in the 3 years we have been here, but we usually find enough of the imports for 2 or 3 BBQ's.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal