Author Topic: comfrey wine?  (Read 3962 times)

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
comfrey wine?
« on: June 03, 2009, 23:03:11 »
I was showing my grandmother-in-law my comfrey beds at the weekend, and she told me she used to make comfrey wine, which sounds rather intriguing. Does anyone have a recipe, and is it worth making? I feel slightly sceptical given the horrendous stink coming from my comfrey bucket at the moment!
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: comfrey wine?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 23:20:09 »
It is no longer reccommended as although it is supposed to be good for a wide range of ailments it is believed to cause liver damage.

A typical recipe for comfrey wine would be:

4 lbs comfrey root (weighed after being cleaned & cut up)
1 gallon water
3 lbs sugar to each gallon of water

Clean, peel and cut up the roots into pieces about 4 or 5 inches long. Boil till quite tender and then remove the lid to allow the strong smell to escape. Strain off the liquid and to every gallon allow 3 lbs of sugar. Boil these together for 45 minutes, then pour the liquor into a pan and when tepid, add a very little yeast on toast. Let stand for at least 10 days covered over, and stir it every day. Then put it into a cask or stone jar to work. In 6 or 7 months, the wine will be ready to bottle.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: comfrey wine?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 17:34:20 »
One can produce an alcoholic `drink` from just about anything-whether one would like to actually taste it is another matter :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal