Author Topic: prawn tails  (Read 9189 times)

betula

• Hectare
Re: prawn tails
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 11:03:49 »
Buster,

Fish heads,shrimp heads what is the difference.....they all stink :D

Also what is the problem with weekend working only?Some people live in the real world and have to prioritise work and family during the week.

I know of splendid allotments that are only worked at weekends. :(
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 11:09:01 by betula »

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 11:06:16 »
IMHO I would speak to the lady, ask her why she does it, explain how it affects you and see if there is a compromise you can reach.

To be honest I dont think I would like the smell of rotting fish near my plot but if all  I got was little notes I think they would go on the compost until you came and spoke to me. Nothing like a face to face discussion.

Peace. F.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 11:17:49 »
Pic's.....Pic's....Pic's.
 Let's be seeing what the fuss is all about.

PlymouthMaid

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 11:25:52 »
Could you maybe ask her to bury them instead of leaving them on the surface? I hate the smell of rotting fish but can see how it could be good for the ground although I think it may well attract undesirables to the plot (foxes and gulls as well as environmental health officers). 

Oh and Hello to everybody - have been lurking for a few weeks and not said much yet.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 15:53:04 »
Welcome to the site PlymouthMaid, where are you from then.  :-X    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 16:53:30 »
I would guess Plymouth going by the name! I was there this week and admiring the allotments I could see on the hill behind the station next to a very large park.

I think she should bury them as they will attract vermin.

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 18:28:08 »
Betula stop blowing everything out of proportion fish heads are a dam site bigger than a shrimp head,you don’t know If this person has a regular supply your making it sound like she’s done a deal with the local fish monger, she may have simply taken a few shrimps down to the allotment and cooked them on a Barbecue WE DON'T KNOW. Yes I agree on allotments we are all working very close together and you have to consider your neighbours but I wouldn’t  leave a polite note for my neighbour  saying the smell from  your chickens is  VILE!! And MAKING US FEEL VERY SICK and I am gonna report you.                                                                                                                                           PS.thanks for the eggs                                                                                                                                          I didn’t say there was anything wrong with just going down on a weekend(blown out of proportion again), the point I am making is that you don’t just get a plot in the real world and then start leaving notes for other plot holders telling them what they can and cannot do just because it’s a bit smelly when they don’t even know what their plot neighbours are doing on the plot or how the allotment environment works, what are we supposed to do when it’s time for the annual manure drop cancel it because we don’t want upset anybody because it’s a bit smelly, and as for your comment(on allotments we are all working very close together and you have to consider your neighbours. There is no room for extremes in this environment)sounds more like a dictator speaking, on allotments WE ALL have to compromise as WE ALL do things different from each other from time to time and should raise concerns face to  face before rounding up a posse.
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 18:34:49 »
Buster, are you this Asian lady with a penchant for a bit of shrimp action? You seem to be taking Betula's concerns about people leaving putrid decaying carcasses near other people's food crops a bit personally!

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 18:40:55 »
At this stage it might be worth phoning environmental health just for advice, not to report her. If they tell you it is a health risk then it might be easier to persuade her not to do it.

Sounds disgusting to me. I can think of plenty of things that might be good for the soil but I wouldnt want next door!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 19:04:59 »
or just go into her shell  :P

Ha! You're right.  The Environmental Health Stormtroopers will soon winkle her out though!  They've got the mussel for the job, and will oyster off her allotment if they detect anything fishy going on.

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 20:06:40 »
Buster, are you this Asian lady with a penchant for a bit of shrimp action? You seem to be taking Betula's concerns about people leaving putrid decaying carcasses near other people's food crops a bit personally!
Pure and simple I don't like bully's nobody knows the true facts yet everyone wants to stick their 2 penny worth in(putrid decaying carcasses Ha somebody tie me to a chair)(VILE!! And MAKING US FEEL VERY SICK Ha you can move about  love you don't have to stick your nose through the fence and smell it)(The smell of rotting fish Ha look some ones dumped a whale on their plot )I don't believe for one minute that she has covered her entire plot in shrimp heads and tails did woody say they had to leave the site because the smell was so bad NO did they contact the site manager and the plot holder in person NO did they ask other plot holders on the allotment site or on here why someone would use shrimp heads and tails on their plot NO did they post their concerns on here at the weekend NO they waited till Wednesday Ha to see what the witch finder general and all his disciples would say when perhaps no one could be bothered to reply to their polite notes,we will only find out in next week episode of Chinese heads she wins Tails you loose HA

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 20:43:25 »
 I would take it that this lady being chinese would be putting this waste on the plot from a take away or restraunt who have guide lines for the disposal of food stuff by DEFRA. They have these rules/laws for good reason.
I would have no problem about phoning the Enviromental Health to sort the problem out, apart from the smell just imagine if you for one seconed lost sight of you child/grandchild while down at the allotment and there he/she was quite happily having a take away.

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 20:48:54 »
What a load of bl.....dy rascists you are.  Haven't you learnt ANYTHING in the last 40 yrs.  Shirltons comments were not funny - I had to put up with it when I was younger and definitely will not tolerate it at my age now!! 

As pointed out we all do things differently.  May I also point out that we are not now "Asians" but "Orientals".

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 20:49:29 »
I would take it that this lady being chinese would be putting this waste on the plot from a take away or restraunt who have guide lines for the disposal of food stuff by DEFRA.
:o ::)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 20:52:01 »
I am Scottish...so does this mean would I lay out Haggis, c'mon folks, lets not make assumptions!

Lottie Lou, please don't let this upset you.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 21:14:38 by Hector »
Jackie

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 21:09:11 »
I never heard anything like it, she's so shellfish.    ;D ;D ;D

Brilliant  ;D ;D ;D ;D

dgillings

• Quarter Acre
  • Harry with his favourite chocolate friend.
    • The Organic Allotment
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2009, 21:20:32 »
Shrimp/Prawn waste (head and all) has an NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium) content of 2.87 : 9.95 : 0
Shrimp/Prawn heads dried has an NPK content of 7.82 : 4.2 : 0.

The uncooked shell and if it contains it small amount of flesh can happily be composted in decent warm composter for around a year. It is quite possible that this oriental allotmenteer is just using the wonderful (until today) weather to dry out the waste for the compost, or to dig it in as dried waste.  From the information that I've found on the web in just the last five minutes I can see that it is quite common practise in some parts of the world to dig such waste into the ground for the worms or just into the compost.

I must say that I am with Lottie Lou on the few seemingly innocent racist comments that have been made. To assume that anyone of an oriental nature works in or owns a takeaway is disgraceful behaviour in this day and age. And to suggest that they eat cat is equally as childish. I would have though that most people on this site would have been a little more understanding and mature. So far a lot of the comments have been on a par with the sort of thing I hear out of my year 9's...

I would suggest that speculation as to why this shrimp waste is being left about is fine, but any action at this time would be seemingly hasty. Direct conversation should be made with the neighbour in an inquisitive way. It could well be that most of us are missing out on a trick. I've worked in some pretty smelly places before (Pig sty, slaughter house, fishery etc) the smell of fish is really no worse than chicken sh!t and manure - it is just that as gardeners in the UK we are more used to these smells...

Be tolerant and lets hope that we learn something.

Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.  ~Author Unknown

The Organic Allotment
http://theorganicallotment.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2009, 21:25:56 »
May I also point out that we are not now "Asians" but "Orientals".

Does that make me "Occidental" or was it just a big mistake?  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2009, 21:27:36 »
Unless there was a solid layer of shrimp heads I doubt whether there would be anything in the way of a noticeable smell. I've come across plenty of dead animals on the beach, or as roadkill, or rotting on hillsides, and there isn't often a smell, unless it's a dead sheep or cow.

'Occidental' has been used for generations to describe Europeans.

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2009, 21:28:23 »
Shrimp/Prawn waste (head and all) has an NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium) content of 2.87 : 9.95 : 0
Shrimp/Prawn heads dried has an NPK content of 7.82 : 4.2 : 0.

The uncooked shell and if it contains it small amount of flesh can happily be composted in decent warm composter for around a year. It is quite possible that this oriental allotmenteer is just using the wonderful (until today) weather to dry out the waste for the compost, or to dig it in as dried waste.  From the information that I've found on the web in just the last five minutes I can see that it is quite common practise in some parts of the world to dig such waste into the ground for the worms or just into the compost.

I must say that I am with Lottie Lou on the few seemingly innocent racist comments that have been made. To assume that anyone of an oriental nature works in or owns a takeaway is disgraceful behaviour in this day and age. And to suggest that they eat cat is equally as childish. I would have though that most people on this site would have been a little more understanding and mature. So far a lot of the comments have been on a par with the sort of thing I hear out of my year 9's...

I would suggest that speculation as to why this shrimp waste is being left about is fine, but any action at this time would be seemingly hasty. Direct conversation should be made with the neighbour in an inquisitive way. It could well be that most of us are missing out on a trick. I've worked in some pretty smelly places before (Pig sty, slaughter house, fishery etc) the smell of fish is really no worse than chicken sh!t and manure - it is just that as gardeners in the UK we are more used to these smells...

Be tolerant and lets hope that we learn something.

I rest my case  :P :P :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal