Author Topic: 1st plot: clay and root  (Read 3744 times)

Taproot

• Not So New ...
  • Tap The Root
1st plot: clay and root
« on: June 03, 2009, 13:50:27 »
Hello every one.
Last week I was assigned my first allotment. It's a nice size at 4.5 meters by 22.5 meters, it's had nothing but brambles and weeds there for the last 15 years, but is mostly clear now. The soil is fairly heavy with clay and with the great weather of the last few days, lumpy and hard.

Thus far, I have dug up all the remaining weeds shown, deep roots and all. I've spread sharp sand over the lot to help condition it and that's about it so far.

I have plans for something along the lines of an orchard down the sides, veg and berries and compost bin down the end with shed, pond and minor other things up top end.

Am I on the right track here with the sand? Is there any general starting advice I can harvest from here?

Thanks.

-T-

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: 1st plot: clay and root
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 14:07:08 »
Welcome to A4A Taproot... the sand won't hurt but digging in organic materials (compost or manure) will help with improving soil texture...  :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 15:19:54 »
Hi and welcome to A4A taproot
As Saddad says manure and compost are the best stuff to help break the lumps of clay down
It sounds like you've done lots of hard work already and its time for the fun bit to start - the planting   ;D
Also check out the Wiki on here, lots of extra info for new starters

tim_n

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 15:45:23 »
Hi taproot - I've just (like this weekend) been doing some soil improvement on my plot - you can see pics on www.waark.com

I prefer 'no dig' raised beds, however I made an exception for this particular bed because it was solid clay all the way down.

I dug down about 2ft, filled with soil improver and fresh manure, backfilled.  I also added chicken manure and after it was all done, I covered over with blood fish and bone and then raked over.

Much less clay like now, very crumbly and I'll be adding rotted manure on top to mulch.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 17:30:20 »
Welcome to the forum :)

I would cover as much as possible with organic matter and cardboard/shredded paper and water really well(this should stop the clay underneath drying out too much and turning into concrete and the worms will start digging it into the clay as well). Then start from one end and dig it in, once you have a bed big enough you will be able to start planting.

Mark out your paths and only walk on these(make sure you weed these as the weeds will spread into your beds...like mine >:( )

Keep us updated on your progress

Neil

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 09:59:45 »
Welcome to the forum. sounds as if you've made good progress.

Just one suggestion: when planting trees bear in mind the shadow they'll cast

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 09:32:08 »
Welcome, Taproot! Hopefully this rain will have made the digging easier for you!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 12:10:57 »
Sounds like my plot taproot! 
While a pain to dig clay soils can be very fertile.  When I started on my plot I was literally digging holes and filling with compost (for bigger plants) or scraping out drills for seeds and covering with potting compost.  It was just about impossible to sow direct.  I still got good results
I would go for a lot of well rotted manure - there is  bound to be some stables localy and they are normally happy to give it away - combined with rasied beds or at least marked off areas.  Clay compacts very easily esp when wet.
The most important thing is to get something going in the ground.  While rewarding, digging can be very tedious and you need something to keeo your chin up.  Get an area sorted and plant something before moving on to the next area. 
Best of luck
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Taproot

• Not So New ...
  • Tap The Root
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 10:14:39 »
Thanks for the advice everyone.
It looks like the hard work is starting to pay off. What with the rain to soften the ground, weeding and digging has been much easier. I've thought about what organic matter to use, and I'm thinking that I could put down some Fenugreek and turn that into the soil once it's grown up a bit.
Once the walking areas are established I'll start putting in beds, trees and other things like a sitting area, but what I'm really keen on is a small pond.
Does anyone have suggestions on what would be the best method in putting one in?

Thanks

-T-

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 11:09:33 »
Thanks for the advice everyone.
It looks like the hard work is starting to pay off. What with the rain to soften the ground, weeding and digging has been much easier. I've thought about what organic matter to use, and I'm thinking that I could put down some Fenugreek and turn that into the soil once it's grown up a bit.
Once the walking areas are established I'll start putting in beds, trees and other things like a sitting area, but what I'm really keen on is a small pond.
Does anyone have suggestions on what would be the best method in putting one in?

Thanks

-T-

What are you planning on raising in a pond? most British freshwater fish taste awful (apparently, I'm a vegi so wouldn't know first hand) and I thought watercress needed running water or you got some poisonous snail living on it ..... I'd be very wary about putting trees down a side that borders another allotment..... our site has rules about that I think, certainly anything tall neaqr a boundary is not allowed unless it's a tall crop like Jerusalem artichokes... I must say you're making it sound a bit like a garden and less like an allotment.....does your site allow that (you might run foul of site regs saying 75% has to be used for growing edible things.....

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 17:01:02 »
That's a good point about the trees and your neighbours ChrisCross, definitely should be thought through.

Sorry can't help re info on the pond Taproot, I'm sure someone will be along shortly......

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 17:33:57 »
Hiya, taproot, welcome to the site..sounds like you've big plans,  ;D
we have apond made from an old bath, we have fruit trees at the back by a wall with a cage built off the wall, we have a sitting area by the shed, again by the wall, a seat bult on to it and covered with a trellis  ;D

joestig

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 02:36:49 »
old bath dumped into the ground seems to be the style in our allotments, just make sure you seal up the plug hole properly.

if only you could get one of those big 1970s corner baths.....

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 07:18:00 »
Heya Taproot.

Lots of good advice here, and I am 100% for adding as much organic stuff as you can get hold of.

I see you are near Peterborough. Maybe you can have a drive across to The Wash, where you must be able to collect a load of seaweed.

Everyone on here will tell you I am a big seaweed fan, and there is every reason to be! Seaweed is free, it contains all the trace elements your plants thrive on, it is great for growing in. Try googling "lazy bed", and see how the crofters grew their veg.

Any leftover seaweed? Stuff it in a barrel, fill with water, wait 2 weeks, and then you have a marvellous emulsion to dilute (9 parts water to 1 part emulsion) and spray on your plants...................see them liven up!

Go for it Taproot.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 07:34:38 »
Welcome to A4A Joestig....  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 16:51:29 »
Welcome to A4A Joestig.  Happy digging 8) 8)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 17:26:14 »
I am a big seaweed fan

What do you do about the salt?  What do you put it in?  It smells awful?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 18:40:32 »
Would like to welcome you to the site Joestig. If you have children on your allotment site then make sure that whatever pond you decide on that it is safe just in case children wander onto your plot (like they sometimes do)
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 20:52:28 »
Hiya, joestig, nice to meet you  ;D

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 18:25:14 »
A good tip for breaking up sticky clay soil is to use manure with plenty of straw in it as the straw helps to break up the soil particles over time.

TheSnail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal