Author Topic: WATERING - STOP, THINK!!  (Read 4176 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
WATERING - STOP, THINK!!
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:43:43 »
A 15' jet of water - soil looking wet & puddling?  Don't be fooled.

The flow can be as little as one gallon a minute. An established plant likes about 1/2 a gallon. So don't just wave the hose over them - count the seconds each time.It's a LOT longer than you think. I've just been out there for over an hour!!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: WATERING - STOP, THINK!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 11:27:52 »
That's a lot of counting Tim! But a good point, and no doubt topical with the weather we're having at the moment.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:31:37 »
Same like watering eg Grow Bags with a hose. I have 33 to water!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 11:52:42 »
From the timeofyour post,Tim, you were watering in the morning. Isn't it better to do it in the cool of the evening?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 11:58:52 »
Yes, so right - but it's COOL in the morning, for me, & very burning until late evening - & my bedtime. And would interfere with my intake of Scotch!

To hell with the plants - I like to get it all done before breakfast. Except that I don't have breakfast!

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 11:59:23 »
 I think at this time of year its better to water in the morning as it cools down in the evening the plants dont sit in cold water as the tempof a evening is still cool and from next week day temp will be down to the teens again  

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 12:13:36 »
Whatever!

'They' always say that if pm, the plants have all night to take it up, rather than losing it through daytime transpiration.

As said - pm I've got my feet up!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 12:44:49 »
Pippa  Greenwood on G.Q.T said if plants need water it is better to water at anytime rather not at all.   So as the people who work  can only come to the site in the evening or early morning I water in the daytime and every seems O.K.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 13:15:16 »
I tend to water in the morning before i go work and my plot gets water when i can get there it tends took after itself as most of what i got planted looks after it self however the greenhouse at home gets waterd in the morning somtimes in the evening as well but try not to water in the evening as i believe this adds up to the chance of getting blight being damp all evening and the plants sitting in wet soil as the temp drops

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 14:31:31 »
As said - pm I've got my feet up!

I'm not surprised after watering 30 + grow bags and goodness knows what else !  : ;)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 14:54:54 »
If you have to water during the day keep it off the foliage as the water drops act like a magnifying glass and burn the leaves!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 15:53:57 »
I have been up before 6 watering.  I thought that evening watering encourages the slugs, who have a nice wet motorway all the way to the precious plants.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 16:27:07 »
I was, of course, talking about outdoor watering.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 18:17:45 »
I'm afraid I'm never going to be an early morning waterer, so as I'm at work all day it'll have to be evenings and hope for the best.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 19:16:00 »
Either morning or evening. whenever we have the time
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

tim_n

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 11:04:52 »
I've just installed drainpipes and plant pots into the soil.  I water in them.  Pics/articles on www.waark.com

I tend not to water most things - just those that need a lot of water.  I do it in the morning as a warm moist evening tends to bring out the slugs.  I'll only water seed trays in the evening as long as they're in a slug resistant location.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 11:44:02 »
The Garden mag has a piece on watering this month.  It says we should water less often but more thoroughly.  Watering little and often causes plants to form roots near the surface which dry out more quickly and get damaged in dry conditions.  They recommend checking the soil 8cm below the surface and if it's damp, it doesn't need watering.  Their rule of thumb is that every 1sq. metre of vegetation requires the equivalent of 25mm of water every 5-10 days from whatever source.

Watering in the evening means the plants get the benefit of the water rather than it being lost through evaporation.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 23:52:10 »
If my boys are watering for me, i get them to count to 7 before moving to the next plant, it's a bit more interesting for them and i know the plants are getting plenty of water.

Neil

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 07:01:29 »
The amount of water which is wasted these days is a crime. 50 years ago farmers watered Brassica's by the bucket and dipper method, each plant ot a dipper full of water, now they just saturate the ground with water pumped from brooks and rivers and sprayed fron automatic sprayers. Gardener's are following a bad example.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 08:27:22 »
That's the adage I keep in mind, Ceres - 4 gallons per square yard.

And YES to the no spray idea - apart from what I said earlier, & waste, the weeds just love it!!

Timing is great - but measure the amount - it can vary hugely depending on time of day & hose setting.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal