Author Topic: Contaminated manure  (Read 885 times)

Hettyb

• Not So New ...
Contaminated manure
« on: June 05, 2009, 09:12:43 »
I planted a small bed of 'Red duke of York' a new variety for me. As they grew I thought the leaves looked odd but it was a very cold spring here in N Ireland so I thought they would open out more when it was warmer, or that it was the new variety, but I now realise they have been affected by a herbicide in farmyard manure. It came from a local farm and I had read about this problem online last year with people on the mainland being affected but had not heard of it here.
 The manure was only used on that little bed with the main bed of Golden Wonder having horse manure from a different farm (we live in the country)
 Alittle patch of broad beans beside them is also affected.
 I am very upset about this for many reasons, firstly I am no longer young and it is hard work for me to get planting done, but I love doing it, and like to grow organicaly(sp).
 Also the damage to our food that these chemicals is doing worries me. People here are saying ' why is there so much cancer ' and surely the food we eat must be affecting our health. I have children and grandchildren and what are they eating.  If the cattle that ate these chimicals are now on sale in the butchers and the milk ,butter and cheese in the supermarket what are we to eat?
 Sorry to rant but this has really upset me
  Happy growing
  Jean

flossy

• Hectare
Re: Contaminated manure
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:33:43 »

Hi Jean,    You must be so upset after all your hard work,     

There has been a long running thread on the subject of contaminated manure, but not clever
    enough to reserect it for you,   [  someone will ],   It has much discussion and very sound advice
    that may ease your mind a little,     It is a worry trying to understand the weird and apparent
    senselessness way that field, crops and animal products are managed today.

The best we can do is try and find alternatives I think,  homemade compost for me is a
      must as I know what has gone into it,   liquid feeds from plants are also helpful.

They got by many years ago without the  'help' from money making drug companies,  what goes
     around will hopefully come around.

Wishing you all the best and success with your new crops,       ;)

floss xxx

Hertfordshire,   south east England

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal