Author Topic: Digging in very hot weather  (Read 2606 times)

Digitalis

• Acre
Digging in very hot weather
« on: May 30, 2009, 15:47:54 »
I still have about 1/3 of my plot to dig/weed, and I'm concerned how I'll cope in the hot weather.

I'm not the fittest person, but I've done well with the 2/3s that I have dug already.

Do you have any advice on how to dig in hot weather?

sarah

• Hectare
Re: Digging in very hot weather
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 16:00:19 »
yes. dont.

seriously there is no point killing yourself in this hot weather. either cover whats not dug, or dig in the cool of the evening.  :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 16:17:04 »
Get up early.  Nice and quiet. Or do the evening shift.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 16:47:52 »
Get a garden umbrella and stick it in the ground so you are digging in the shade.   Should cause a comment or two.

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 16:52:32 »
dont doooooooooo it

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 17:08:54 »
Only thing about not doing it is that I've got my onion set to get in......it should be in before the end of May.

Have I missed the boat?

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 17:37:41 »
Not really, a few days won't make too much difference. 

It get light very early in the mornings - 4.30 - 5.00 is the coolest time of the day.  Probably the best time to do digging, and remember to drink plenty of water.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 19:36:39 »
I like doing thing early but 4.30 still the middle of the night for me.  Still nice and cool at 8 this morning.

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 22:34:50 »
onions still ok to put in, i still got me spuds to go in yet but been told it aint tooooo late for them, cant coment on diggin really as i get mine rotovated as cant dig due to condition i have. just do wot you can mate   ;D ;D

Al37

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 23:17:26 »
Any kind of work in hot weather isn't easy. If You must do it in the sun I would advise a hat and plenty of fluids.
Personally I just love the feeling of being up at sunrise especially if its going to be a nice day.
The satisfaction of of getting three to four hours work done before the normal day starts is very satisfying ;)

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 00:25:17 »
I have a large brimmed hat that I bought from a fishing tackle shop - its just the job for pottering about down the lottie. I never dig in the heat of the day I either go very early in the morning or in the evening. I always take plenty of water

amphibian

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 07:34:22 »
I frequently dig in the heat of the day, my other commitments makes it thus. I dress light drink plenty and take a towel for wiping down. Work methodically, there's something zen about it, a kind of meditative state of mind you can find in which you work slowly and peacefully, stay cool and yet get it done. I know it sounds daft, but it's how people work in hot countries.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 08:41:32 »
Cover it up and dig and small area at a time. Lots of water and a hat as has been said.Also, suncream!  I was moving and laying slabs in the sun the other day and that was hard work. No point in working in the sun, unless it is essential. If so make sure you are covered up and take regular breaks. Sit of of the sun during breaks. Don't give yourself sunstroke. 

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 10:41:52 »
Twenty minutes tops in this heat would be fine. As all have said before fluids and a hat are a sure way to stay on top. Mine is nearly done now and it is starting to look the part. Roots and stones are my bugbare. Bent the Bl**dy fork sooo many times.
I will keep going though to finish the job.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 12:31:37 »
I had to stop clearing the plot last month, just too hot and the ground too hard. I'll wait til the autumn now. I think sometimes you just have to stand back, take a break and postpone what you had planned this year and be prepared for the next.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 12:36:08 »
I've got to water the ground now to dig it's like concrete but i got behind because it was like wet concrete before and i must have been on holiday in the transitional stage. :(

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 19:18:32 »
I had to stop clearing the plot last month, just too hot and the ground too hard. I'll wait til the autumn now. I think sometimes you just have to stand back, take a break and postpone what you had planned this year and be prepared for the next.

I think you're right. I will just accept that I'm not going to have a plot with every inch used.

I've got lots of spuds in, along with beetroot, spring onions, rasperries, blackcurrants, toms, cucumber, various beans and squash for this year. Not bad for my first season and considering I only got the plot in March.

It's been suggested to me that I don't need to dig the whole bed if I want to put onions in- they have told me that I can simply dig a small hole for each onion and mulch with MP compost. So I think that's what I'll try. Better than wasting an area.

Do you think that would work?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 20:20:21 »
Do a bit rest a bit. We have a nice shady are at the top of our plot. We go out in the sun to do a bit and then get back in the shade.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 07:38:39 »
I've got to water the ground now to dig it's like concrete but i got behind because it was like wet concrete before and i must have been on holiday in the transitional stage. :(

LOL  ;D  Yes that was the bit just after bank holiday Monday  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal