Author Topic: Windows XP Service Pack 2  (Read 11043 times)

Hugh_Jones

Windows XP Service Pack 2
« on: September 24, 2004, 22:08:29 »
Has anybody here been brave enough to instal the Windows XP Service Pack 2 yet?  I`ve had the disk sitting alongside my computer for a couple of weeks now, but can`t decide whether to instal it.  Although Microsoft make great claims about the security benefits, press reports all appear to suggest the risk of problems, some serious - particularly as to compatability with other software - and reports on the internet don`t appear to be very much better.  Has anybody out there any experience of SP2?

Palustris

• Hectare
Re:Windows XP Service Pack 2
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 22:32:38 »
Got it, installed it, cannot see that it has made any difference at all to the machine. Still get same number of reports of attack from Norton and AVG as I did before. Still get the same number of unwanted things which Adaware and Spybot get rid of.
So far though it has not mucked up the machine, but that may be hubris!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 09:17:57 »
It's free (that makes a change :o)from the Microsoft updates, I have installed it and touch wood no viruses as yet, Norton let a few through that was annoying as I paid good money for their package. So yes I'd say things are better.

Roy 8)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 10:51:05 »
Was going to, until I saw 3hr 59min download time.
Since the machine goes off-line every 20min, that's not on! = Tim

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 12:11:07 »
You can send for a disc with it on, but that is not free. And in theory it should carry on from where it stops when you disconnect. OR, you could find someone who has downloaded it and see if their package will work on your machine. I assume it is the same for every version of XP?
Gardening is the great leveller.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 13:41:41 »
If it were worth all the hassle!! = Tim

motherhenswebmaestro

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 15:21:14 »
try a download manager
I use www.getright.com.
Basic one is free  @ www.getright.com/get.html
Most websites support this sort of program ( or they should tell you if they dont).

motherhensWebmaestro
www.citychicken.co.uk/hosting .
gentoo linux/KDE/apache/MySql

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 20:02:11 »
Thanks, Maestro - 'getright' downloaded, & now unsure whether or not to proceed! There do seem to be a lot of ifs & buts to it. = Tim
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 16:52:09 by tim »

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2004, 23:23:01 »
Trouble is, tim, that to be sure you`ve done it properly it`s an enormous hassle.  Microsoft advise you to check with your computer maker first, then you`re supposed to have Microsoft check your existing XP for critical updates. After that you MUST clean out any suspect stufff with Ad-Aware (or similar) (do that regularly anyway), and you`re advised to back up all your files (quite a few cds in my case).

When you`ve installed it your Nero cd burner won`t work if it`s version 6.3.03 or lower (as mine is), if you use Norton anti-virus Windows won`t recognise it, if you have a Nikkon camera (as I have) the Nikkon software doesn`t work properly, and there`s apparently a whole host of smaller programs that you can`t use until somebody invents a load of new patches.

I`ve now done everything up to actually installing it, and I`m still hesitating - the Internet contains a number of complaints from people who installed it and whose computers now refuse to boot up at all.  IF you decide to install, go to

http://support.microsoft.com/kbid=875355

and print off the detailed instructions for recovering your computer if it all goes wrong - even Microsoft admit the possibility.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 00:24:16 »
Took the plunge, tim, and installed it.  Actually 45 minutes including restarting and clicking all the little boxes it asked me to.  Seems to be working o.k. but 2 hours of backing up time and several cds wasted.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2004, 16:51:23 »
Well - I hope your spiel has helped someone, Hugh. I reckon I'll take a rain check. I just know I'd lose something in the backing-up process. = Tim

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2004, 17:05:07 »
Just as a matter of interest, although I regularly use McAfee Quick Clean and Ad-Aware, last week I downloaded a little program called `cclean` and tried it immediately after using the other two.  It found a further 97 junk files which the others had missed, emptied the Windows cookie data file (which I`ve never been able to do before) and freed up several hundred ks of hard disk space - I can highly recommend it.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2004, 17:06:45 »
Well the warning came too late for me and I just downloaded it an it works, can't say more than that. :D
Roy ;D

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2004, 12:34:36 »
I downloaded and installed and have had no problems at all with it.  It did recognise my Norton antivirus software phew!
Only change is that I get a message saying "Pop up window blocked" (or some such) occasionally.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2004, 13:11:41 »
Same here Jill with the pop up thingy, downloaded mine on Sunday.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2004, 14:22:37 »
Downloaded mine over the week-end too and so far no problems whatsoever.  :D

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2004, 17:41:17 »
Yep I get the pop-up stopper thingy-me-bob and find it reassuring, I also have two firewalls now and are unsure if this is a good or bad thing? ???

Roy ;D

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2004, 18:36:38 »
You can`t have too many Firewalls Roy - I`m running McAfee as well as the Windows Firewall, and it still intercepts things that Windows misses - I think Windows only works against incoming, not against outgoing, so any `reporting out` programs could still work despite the Windows Firewall

One problem from SP2, however. As soon as I go into IE the McAfee Firewall informs me that something called `Generic Process for Win 32` is trying to access the internet. It`s a persistent little blighter because although I keep saying NO the damned thing keeps coming back at me until I give in and agree. Can anybody please tell me what this wretched thing is and what it`s for.  Personally I think it`s Microsoft`s own spyware, and if it is I would prefer to deny it access.

I previously mentioned NERO (below version 6.3.03) not working, but I`ve now discovered the way to get round this if anyone needs to know.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 18:39:42 by Hugh_Jones »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2004, 19:30:15 »
Thanks Hugh ;) Ill keep both then. I have just googled your query Hugh and got what may be a long answer to your question, try this
http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/272.html
I previously mentioned NERO (below version 6.3.03) not working, but I`ve now discovered the way to get round this if anyone needs to know.
Yes I would be interested in the answer to the above as I too have Nero but alas not tried it since "Windows XP Service Pack 2" being installed and knowing my luck it will fangue.

Roy :)

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2004, 20:47:08 »
Thanks Roy.  I`ve read all through the item several times, and it`s still more or less clear as mud. Problem is that the request keeps on coming up unless I allow access, and as long as the request keeps flashing up my computer is blocked. The only way I can continue is by allowing access.

The problem with NERO is that it falls foul of the new DEP Security feature in SP2.  However you can disable DEP for specific programs.  Go to Control Panel/System/Advanced/
Performance/Settings/Date Execution Prevention. Click `Turn on for all programs and services except those I select` and press `Add` to navigate. Highlight Nero, Open, press `Apply`, then `OK`

You can use this for any other programs which fall foul of DEP

Another problem which has arisen since I installed SP2 is that every time I log off the internet my History of Sites visited is , for some strange reason, immediately and completely deleted, although the setting in IE properties is for 5 days. Can anyone throw any light on this?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal