Author Topic: I'll have a pea please Bob  (Read 2302 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
I'll have a pea please Bob
« on: September 24, 2004, 17:50:10 »
There isn't much mention of peas on this board, so I thought I would just mention that I sowed 2 rows of Ambassador about 6 weeks ago, and I have been picking sugar sweet peas now for 10 days and there are still plenty to come.  If we have a sudden cold snap and frost, will they survive or will that stop them in their tracks?

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:I'll have a pea please Bob
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 18:46:36 »
It probably will EJ,but it`s good to see folk `bending` the traditional sowing times. Sometimes one gets lucky and if not nothing is lost.

You cardoon root is in the post btw-I would be tempted to plant it directly,or perhaps in a large pot-if at all possible get it into it`s new home now while the soil is still warmish.

Stephan

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 23:03:56 »
According to the packets the peas can be sown into early summer, and with our seasons all drunk now, I thought nothing ventured nothing gained, and I think I have had a bigger crop with this sowing.

Thank you for the baby! I have just the place for my cardoon, well, I thought I did but now I think I might want it in my garden!  :-\ ;D

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 17:28:42 »
Same variety as ours but although our first early lot produced loads of excellent peas, the second lot sowed were rubbish, the ones at home in pots were much better,probably more sheltered.
Must do more than one plot width next year as they are soooooooo nice.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 22:02:26 »
We haven't been impressed with Ambassador - not been a good crop  :( though it was my husband that sowed them (that must be why  :P )
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 22:10:49 »
I found them excellent when sown early in the season, but the July sowing last year all succumbed to a bad attack of mildew before the peas were properly ready.

Bannerdown

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 15:08:43 »
I could not let this subject rest without showing my 'T' shirt front 'wot I wear' while riding my Model 'P' Triumph (1926 500cc sidevalve)  Got a Gold award at this years Banbury Run.  Cheers, Tony.

;D

Bannerdown

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 15:14:18 »
The technology doesn't seem to be my long suit.  How does one send piccies, I have done it before but need an idiot guide.  The back of the 'T' shirt is even better than the front!  Cheers, Tony.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal