Author Topic: Witloof/chicory  (Read 2134 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Witloof/chicory
« on: September 24, 2004, 13:04:49 »
Ina, stephan and any other witloof growers....my plants look wonderful, big, green, glossy and strong.  Is it okay to start digging some and drying them, or do you do them all in one go and just plant as needed or what??  

Yous confused chicory grower of Essex  ;D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Witloof/chicory
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 18:54:24 »
Wait a while yet EJ-at least two months.

Dig a root or two and cut off all the top growth,then bury the root in a large pot and put it somewhere warm and dark.

I do mine in those ten inch plastic flower buckets-plant the root in one,cover with another and put them on the top of the central heating boiler.  You should get `chicons` from early mid December through to the early spring.

Stephan

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 22:49:08 »
This is how I do the witloof: Dig up roots in the beginning of november, leave them to dry for a week, cool but frost free.

Cut of the leaves to 2 cm above the root. Cut off all side shoots and you may cut the tap root at 20cm to get uniform lengths.

Pack the roots in moist compost or soil in a deep container. I use plastic garbage bins, put some soil in the bottom, tilt the container to lay a layer of roots in, pack some soil against the roots and put in the next layer. Leave the tops of the roots uncovered.

Cover container with something that keeps the light out making sure there is enough head room for the chicons to grow. Put in a place with a temperature between 12 and 20 degrees C. The cooler the temp, the slower they grow.

Expect to harvest in 4 to 6 weeks, cut off what you need and leave the rest to grow on a bit longer. The chicons will keep about a week in the fridge.

I couldn't find much info for you in English but here's one link I found.
http://oregonstate.edu/Dept/NWREC/witloof.html

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 22:58:12 »
Excellent, many thanks you two.  Now I know!  I am looking forward to bringing the roots in and forcing them, they will have to go in the airing cupboard as we don't have a boiler in the house (except this old boiler!  :o ;D).  My dad adored chicory and introduced me to the pepperyness when I was a child.  I shall photograph it as I go!  ;D

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 00:05:55 »
You're welcome EJ. Check the temp in the place you plan to put them, make sure it's not too warm.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 21:36:02 »
Does yours look anything like this EJ?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 22:20:50 »
Woohoo!  Yup, exactly!!  Excellent, so I did the right thing. Phew!  Tis very exciting.  I shall try to remember to take my camera on Friday and take a snap.

Cheers Ina!!  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 13:30:48 »
OKay, so yours is bigger, but mine has been battling with parsnips, however, after I took this snap I tidied up around them, removed any dead leaves, and now they are looking great!

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 18:53:24 »
Looking good EJ.
Where the leaves come together at the bottom will give you an indication of how big around the root will be. How many plants do you think you have? Mine are in a double row and I hope to get at least 30 or 40 roots.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 22:47:04 »
I think I have about 18 or so plants.  Tis only me that will eat it, and also, it is the first time I have ever grown it.  Some of the plants are really really big at the base, I was suprised, and rather chuffed!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2004, 17:50:25 »
and remember EJ that after the first cut it will grow back again. Not a nice tight chicon it`s true but enough to spice up a salad.

Stephan

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal