Author Topic: Frost? Help!  (Read 1528 times)

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
Frost? Help!
« on: September 24, 2004, 12:29:52 »
Excuse a possibly obvious question - as mentioned elsewhere on this board a frost is forecast for tonight (and i've checked Metcheck and it's forecast for my area too, down to -2 ÂșC).

Do I need to lift the rest of my spuds and carrots this evening? Will they be OK in the ground? I will obviously remove all my remaining green tomatos, but do I need to harvest my remaining 'outdoor peppers' - they're still green, which is a shame.

Don't want to harvest stuff too early that will be OK left outside.

Cheers

S-M

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re:Frost? Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 12:32:07 »
Spuds and carrots should be fine. If really worried through some fleece over them. That should keep a light frost at bay.

Peppers I would either pick or definately protect.

HTH

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 12:36:17 »
Hmm, what about my butternut squash plant and my courgettes? Should I fleece them overnight?

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 12:36:43 »
I have been wrapping things up with fleece and old net curtains a couple of layers thick.  Used some clear corrogated plastic sheeting to make long cloches with just to keep the worse off my lettuce, and picked all of the peas that were nice and plum and any little tender runners.  Was very very cold on the plot at 9am this morning but my peppers and chillis that are out in the open looked fine, altho now nice and snug!

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 15:05:42 »
Thanks for that.

Darn. Don't have any fleece handy. Just got back from a week in Greece (where it's 30 degrees in the shade  8)) and didn't think to get some in before I left (and the girlf's got the car today, so I can't hit the garden centre before closing).

Might have some thin weed control fabric somewhere that'll do for tonight though, I hope.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 15:06:21 by SpeedyMango »

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 16:58:13 »
Newspaper (as long as it doesn't rain) or bubble wrap should work if you have any handy. But don't forget to take it off in the morning.
gone to pot :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal