Author Topic: Pumpkins in grow bags  (Read 11670 times)

The Amateurs

• Not So New ...
Pumpkins in grow bags
« on: May 23, 2009, 19:12:40 »
Can i grow pumpkins in grow bags or containers, of the seeds set all have taken so am trying to find other places to grow them as well as the allotment.

Thanx

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Pumpkins in grow bags
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 16:51:03 »
It would need to be a big container to get a decent pumpkin and althoguh grow-bag compost would be pretty good I don't think there's enough in a growbag for a big one.....

chrisc

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 07:05:21 »
What variety are they?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

The Amateurs

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:48:38 »
They're a variety called 'Becky' we planted 20 and all have taken, while have about 1/2 at the allotment, need to do something with the remainder...

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 11:12:51 »
Why not offer some to other plot holders, they may give you something in return another day.  :D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 11:20:28 »
Pumpkins produce huge plants with huge leaves, need a huge amount of spaceand lots and lots of water.  Good luck finding them homes.  Farmers round here dump piles of manure in gateways to deter pop festivals in thier fields, suggest you nip round and plant a pumpkin on each pile.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 11:56:51 »
Can i grow pumpkins in grow bags or containers,

Yes why not?

OK the tops are huge and need a lot of space, but the root system will fit comfortably into a growbag or 2 gallon florists bucket.

Just don't let them dry out!!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 17:24:07 »
As I've been offered an big pumpkin as part of the family pumpkin competition I've snared some more builders bulk bags and intend filling it with manure, a bit of topsoil and sticking it at the top end of my plot where there isn't anythign else growing except some Jerusalem Artichokes and they will be well taller than the pumpkin by the time they meet so they won't care........So far I've found the non-returnable bulk bags people liek Wickes deliver sand, GSB, pea shingle etc in to be quite easy to work with  for growing things..... half fill with soil (freecycle is my very good friend) manure (ditto) and compost (if you're feeling rich) ...... allowing me to grow a lot of stuff without having tto fight the weeds that are hopefully dying under the weed much right now..... have beans, potatos, squash, onions, tomatos and a few other bits and bobs in themalready adn have jsut got another four for the pumpkins, some more beans, probably carrots (depends on how much soil I get) and maybe I'll try cauliflowers or chinese veg or something.... One thing I will do is to stick a load of mushroom spawn in with the manure that is currently under the tomatos and  also in the bag with the pumpkins.... if I could find a way to reliably get mushrooms outdoors I would be very ahppy..... it's all well and good doing it in a box in the shed but it eats up space and my GH isn't big enough for what I've got in there already   ::)

chrisc

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 17:29:39 »
A builders bulk bag sound like a brilliant idea.  Ikea bags seem to be good as well. 

2 gallon florists bucket.

How do you provide enough food for the pumpkin in a bucket.  Presume you must have to constantly feed it?  I know someone who is trying to do something similar.  Would like to pass on the advice.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 18:36:55 »
They're a variety called 'Becky' we planted 20 and all have taken, while have about 1/2 at the allotment, need to do something with the remainder...

I think Becky is a medium sized squash so if you don't have much room to grow them on the ground, you could try growing them up well-supported canes. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 19:36:48 »
How do you provide enough food for the pumpkin in a bucket.  Presume you must have to constantly feed it? 

Well yes and no!

First of all a pumpkin is predominately water hence the reason for me mentioning 'don't let them dry out'

Then it is a case of how big do you want them!

Generally; If the compost in the container is a good potting mix this might you will get a fair sized pumpkin with minimal additional feed.

For instance I grow pumpkins for lanterns for my grandkids ( I grow Jack o' Lantern) and I find that I get a size suited to what the kids can lift.

eg like these;

If I want half a hundred weight plus, I grow the variety 'Hundredweight' and feed them a high Potash feed once or twice a week.

Some people give a half strength feed at each watering the choice is yours.

Then you will get them like this (or bigger)

This one was 42 lbs /  20 kg ;

I have also found that 'variety' plays a large part in the end result. In other words there is no point in feeding a plant/variety that doesn't have the potential to grow big in the first place.

The two varieties above are such varieties e.g Jack o' Lantern generally grows to around 12"-15" in diameter wheras hundredweight can be over 2ft in diameter.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal