Author Topic: Kicking off  (Read 1630 times)

Dean

• I love Allotments4All
Kicking off
« on: September 23, 2004, 11:01:22 »
Hi everyone. I'm moving into my first alllotment next week and it looks like I'm starting off with a blank canvas. I would love to have the thing prooducing food as soon as possible though. I've been looking into things I can actually plant next week that will give me somthing edible later this year or early next. So far, as I suspected, the only things that look like they will produce anything quickly are sallad greens, which is at least a start.  Try as I might the only way I've found on-line to find out planting times is by reading through the entire catalouge of many seed companies. Does anyone know of a list of what can be planted no/soon, or does anyone have any sugestions of what I can put into the ground now.
Thanks

Sarah-b

• Acre
Re:Kicking off
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 11:39:29 »
Yesterday, I put in a row of overwintering onion sets and I will be planting garlic at various points through the winter. If you have cloches there are several crops that can be sown now - sure someone else will tell you about them. I also have a packet of spring greens seeds which I will attempt to sow in situ at the weekend (but will cover with netting to protect from the bl##*y pigeons).
Don't forget green manures.
Sounds like you might need a good book - I have Joy Larkcom's vegetable book and she's very hot on all-year cropping.

Good luck with the new plot - is it weed free-bare earth then?

Sarah.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 11:45:38 »
Good for you!

For a start - look back here at winter veg - much chat.
Look at Dobies catalogue page 4. Others, too, have a helpful chart.
Then - I shall be drummed out - Hessayon's Veg Expert. However much folk take the mickey, it is very helpful. = Tim

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 12:31:54 »
This might be of use to you:

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 12:41:02 »
Well if you have clean ground then you are soooooo lucky!  I have planted overwintering red and white onions, am awaiting my garlics and shallots which will go in as soon as I get them.  I know it is a little late in the day, but I sowed the last of my 'baby carrots for Christmas'  on Monday.  Herbs can go in now along with spring cabbages, overwintering caulis, calabrases, kohl rabi, radishes and fast maturing salad crops.   I think you can plant fruit bushes and strawberries about now, and don't forget flowers.  I have a sack of daff bulbs to go in tomorrow, along with sweet peas, sweet williams and stocks, all for cutting to bring home for the house.   ;D

Dean

• I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 14:15:07 »
Thank you all for the help and advice. The almanac web page was perfect, and the advice here on what to plant is excellent.  I'f just been to the alloment (1 minute walk from home) and it's all been cleared, except for a few brussle sprouts I was asked to keep as a curtisy to the former owner. I think the first day's work will be dividing into beds, laying a path of some form before a good de-stoning. I'll certinaly pop in some over wintering oinios and a few leafy greens (huge stir fry nut). But I never realised I could lay in some carrots for christmas, thanks!
Take care
Dean

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 16:07:49 »
Not only the Gardener's site - check the first entry on Internet Links. But autumn stuff may have been covered more fully on the board. = Tim
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 16:08:19 by tim »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal