Author Topic: THE CHELSEA FLOWER SHOW  (Read 2405 times)

betula

• Hectare
THE CHELSEA FLOWER SHOW
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:13:36 »
Anybody going?

I am watching it on the TV.

So far I really like the QVC garden.

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
Re: THE CHELSEA FLOWER SHOW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 12:30:47 »
Is it just me, or has Alan Titchmarsh dyed his hair?

Joolieeee
Joolieeee

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:39:56 »
I wouldn't be surprised as used to really like him but think he has got a bit conceited lately on his afternoon TV programme. Fame has gone to his head. Will just switch on TV for a quick look.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:42:53 »
I'm going.......in 4 years time when I no longer have teenagers sitting important exams!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 15:15:48 »
we going on wednesdasy, also visiting the chelsea physic garden in the morning :D
(i'll see if I can get a few photo's for you den)
You couldn't make it up!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 16:49:45 »
Thank you Tony.You are a star.Enjoy it all. ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 17:04:40 »
I will not be going plan to watch it on the telly.

I went to it in 2003 and boy was I disappointed, I arrived just before 09:00 and was through the ticket gates by 09:00 (i left OH and daughter home and had no set time to leave) i started to make my way around at a very leisurely pace, by 11:00 i had made it to one of the first large show gardens and the queue was horrendous :o i spent the rest of the day trying to see the gardens. the crowd was so thick i was lucky to get to the barriers to see anything, come lunch time there wasn't space to sit to eat my meal and the marquees were just as bad.

and the funny thing is i went on a  RHS member day ::).

i had gone to a Hampton court show the year before on a whim with a girlfriend we had met up for a girly day out and hadn't really decided where to go, saw the ad on a tube train and decided to go, it was the last day as well and it was so much better, saw loads and had a great time all of four hours.

Chelsea is better by telly, at least i get to see the gardens ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 17:09:02 »
Yes I have heard this sort of thing before. :-\

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 17:09:27 »
we go in the afternoon, on members day (wed) they are keeping the numbers down now!! (it used to be really crowded, not too bad last year, though.
I'll try and get into any tele shots I can ;D ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 17:12:30 »
LOL Tony.

My husband is on a shot where they pan out on last years Gardener's world live at the NEC.

We have kept the recording. ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 17:20:03 »
that's good to know tonybloke maybe I'll try another visit in a few years time.

I've been to the Gardener's world at NEC three times and really enjoyed it but I'm giving it a miss this year due to lack of funds as the trip from Kent means an overnight at a B&B and an expensive return train trip :-\

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 18:58:23 »
I'd love to see pics of the Physic Garden... want to go but from Derby it is a bit of a trek...  :(

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 22:50:06 »
I have been a member of the RHS since the late 1960s.  At that time, dependent upon the membership fee you paid, you got either one or two free tickets for the 'members' day, which was the Tuesday.

All of a sudden the RHS got greedy, and had a portacabin at the entrance to the show, so you could join the RHS, and go into the show.  After a while they realised that they had created a monster, and that their 'loyal' members were treated to a most uncomfortable day at the show.

Nowadays, having paid my extortionate membership fee, if I want to go to Chelsea, I am expected to pay another extortionate entrance fee, which does not include OH.

At the moment, Chelsea is the most overrated crap.  Since we fist attended in the late 1960's/early 1970's gardens had lovely plants, structure, not the rubbish that is shown today.

valmarg

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 07:06:59 »
we going on wednesdasy, also visiting the chelsea physic garden in the morning :D
(i'll see if I can get a few photo's for you den)

Definitely prefer to go to the Chelsea Physic garden, I'm sure you'll love it, its a fascinating place. Haven't been for a while so need to find an excuse to pop up to "town" and head in that direction!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 08:56:18 »
Friends of ours are visiting from The States, and are going Tuesday and Wednesday..........they offered to pay for my ticket, but the thought of being crammed in there with the crowds leaves me cold, so I politely declined, and will be watching it from the comfort of my sofa! ;D (Figured I would see more that way!)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal