Author Topic: Magazine Inspiration.  (Read 1630 times)

Dorthe

• Not So New ...
Magazine Inspiration.
« on: September 22, 2004, 20:30:31 »
I wonder what (if any) magazines you guys read for inspiration.

I read the Kitchen Garden and have just started a trial on the Which Gardening magazine.

Which ones do you like reading?

Can't wait to go to the garden again at the weekend  :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Magazine Inspiration.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 21:43:46 »
I have a real love hate relationship with gardening mags.  I currently sunscribe to Kitchen Garden, pressie from my darling Ava, my subscription to the RHS Garden mag has just expired and I occasionally pick up BBC Gardeners World mag.  I have also lately picked up a copy of the weekly Gardener newspaper from Sainsburys, but only once in a while.  Kitchen Garden is great as it is full of allotment relevant info, but I find the Gardeners World mag merely repeats the TV show and the same old info time and time again - I reakon I can take pelagonium cuttings in my sleep!

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 07:25:28 »
I agree with Emma garden mags just repeat themselves, not worth buying in my mind, l do not think there is nothing like talking to other gardenders and seeing how they do things and trying yourself.  You will get far more experience from planting things in your own garden and learning that way ,than reading any old book and more pleasure.  Besides that some of these garden mags have things in them like flower arranging and so on whats that got to do with gardening.  Stick with A4A Dorthe you will find that there are a lot of people on here that will be more then willing to help you out.  ;)

Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Angi

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 10:24:06 »
My favourite magazine is Kitchen Garden, although I pick up Gardener's World occasionally, even though it does repeat itself. Sometimes its good to have something to read - on the train, when I have a cup of tea, etc. I don't have a problem with articles about subjects I'm not interested in, and can't recall ever seeing a piece on flower arranging!

Phil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 11:14:50 »
I read Organic Gardening magazine.  I browse at the BBC Gardening magazine when I take the kids to the library but I don't like the cult of celebrity gardeners (although I do confess to a liking for Rebecca de Thame and Charlie Dimmock).

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 18:29:56 »
currently I have a subscription to Gardens Illustrated (special offer: a year for £10). I also buy the kitchen garden, always informative and organic gardening - I find it thought provoking and I like the 'sciencey' bits.
I stopped my subscription to gardeners' world as I found it a bit basic, didn't really seem cover anything new.
I've tried most of the magazines - I'd be interested to know of any more people know that I haven't read, as I love to read.
I used to occasionally buy amateur gardneing, which has gone a bit 'gardeners as celebrities' now, and gardens weekly. I used to buy these for the free seeds!
The others on the market all seem a bit makeover and 'how to garden in half an hour' to me. (prejudice-moi?!)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 02:56:58 »
I currently buy the BBC gardening made easy magazine.   It's split into useful sections ( flowers, fruit, vegetables etc).   It's help and advise is perfect for a quite new gardener like me but I do forsee a time when I've outgrown it.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 04:47:28 »
Hellooo

i read the internet the biggest magazine / book / informational reserve  i need i doubt ill ever get through it all though and other than the isp cost its other wise almost free which i reallyyyyyy do like lol

Carl
another member of i forgot my password

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal