Author Topic: Allotment provision  (Read 1462 times)

rotovator kid

Allotment provision
« on: May 15, 2009, 15:42:30 »
Hi everyone,

I don't want to open an old can of worms, but can anybody tell me how many allotments per 1000 population should be given by local authorities?

I am trying to push for an expanding population but finding it hard to pin the legislation down.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Allotment provision
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 15:59:35 »
Our very own A4A wiki (see toolbar at top of pge) has this to say under the title - History of allotments.

You might find some info there;;

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?page=9

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 18:13:29 »
Welcome to A4A "Kid"....  :)

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 19:05:22 »
I am not aware that there is any legislation on this topic.

According to the NSALG magazine (issue 4 2008), the Thorpe Report of 1969 suggested a minimum of 15 10 pole plots per 1,000 households.

NSALG is pushing (as you might expect) for the minimum to be raised to 20 plots per 1,000 households.

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 19:23:09 »

Our allotment area is waiting for candidates !

At least 4 plots available on the site I have just left, and nothing is being done

to re-allocate them.    It's tragic,  they are there if you keep , and I mean keep on

ringing the council or peeps who are in charge of re - allocating plots.

My poor plot is going to ''pot ''  and they better watch out if they ' letter ' me to

'clean ; it.      Notice given on 3rd April, and no one has asked for my keys !

Can't go and look, would be too much !

Hertfordshire,   south east England

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 20:17:40 »
There's this:

“Section 23 of the Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908 places a duty on local authorities (except for inner London boroughs) to provide allotments where they perceive a demand for them in their area. Furthermore, ‘Planning Policy Guidance Note 17: Planning for Open Space, Sport and Recreation, 2002′ requires local authorities to make provision for all types of open space and requires them to undertake robust assessments of local needs and audits of existing open space, to establish standards for new provision. By implementing the guidance in PPG 17, local authorities should make adequate provision for allotments.” (Hansard 6 May 2008 : Column 737W) (from here)
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal