Author Topic: Terrible decisions.  (Read 2381 times)

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
Terrible decisions.
« on: December 24, 2004, 18:22:17 »
A week ago I found a lump on one of my old ladies. Quite small but enough for me to worry about. We took her to the vet and she said she was too small diagnose the seriousness of the lump and to keep an eye on her. If she got in any pain or discomfort to bring her to do the big sleep thing. Well now the lump is now twice her body mass and I fear soon she won't make it to her food. She seems to suffer no pain and even manages to evade every attempt at capturing her, but a decision is to made. Do I have her put down before she starts to suffer? Not a decision I wanted this side of Christmas, but I'm afraid it will have to be done.

TrailRat

PS. Going to have stop typing before I short circuit the keyboard by bursting into tears. Sorry.
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

JustMarian

Re: Terrible decisions.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 18:25:06 »
I am so very sorry to hear the bad news.  We had a similar situation 2 Christmases ago but we went to the vet with our dog in the knowledge that she would feel no pain.  It was the most difficult thing we had to face at this time of year but we did it.
Pick up your strength - You have to do it - NOT for you but for your pet, xx

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 14:33:02 »
TR one of our Ratties got breast cancer, so we had to have her put down. I had to get the hubby to do it as I was crying too much.  The decision was made when her tumour got soooooo big (and very quickly too) she was finding it hard to walk, and stoppped eating. One of the hardest decisions to make, I don't envy you the chioce. But on a brighter note we found a lump on one of our guinea pigs, and it was sucessfully removed by the vet, and it was only a cyst!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 16:20:21 »
Best to take the trip to the vet TR as fancy rats and mice are prone to quick-growing malignant tumours. Most of ours have gone that way.  :( We did, once, pay out £30 for one rat to have a tumour removed in the hope that the cancer wouldn't return but I'm afraid it was to no avail. Rats and mice tend not to show pain as (in the wild) they are prey animals and any sign of weakness marks them out from the others and they therefore become an easy target for the hunter. It doesn't mean, however, that they don't feel pain. It's the kindest thing by far to let them "sleep away" before the tumours gets too big.
Thinking of you as I know how hard it is to part with a little friend.

Love, Eileen. x

« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 21:15:41 by eileen »

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 21:32:31 »
Yo Trailrat

really am very sorry to hear about one of your babies.. as sad as it is, u may have to do the deed, and if you do, then you have my empathy mahn... would love to hear more about the "old lady"  how old she is, the things she done etc, maybe her life is soon comming to an end (I hope not) and if it is ..why not celebrate the gift, for thats what it is, tell us about her, does she have any perculiar traits? etc

really am thinking of you trailrat and praying for the old girl so I am

all the best mate and welcome back

Ozzy/Ciaran

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 17:31:37 »
Her name is Bramble, one of my first mice. She's 2 and a half now. She has always been overweight and deceptively slow. Never one to rush, always taking it easy. Try to catch her though, she suddenly displays a miraculous turn of speed. Always been shy but loves a stroke and tickle under the chin.

She is special as she was one of the first, one of the reasons why I fell in love with mice and rats in the first place.

Your right Ozzy, she is getting old for a lady of her age and I hope I have made her life a happy one. It's strange, you know that you'll out live them when you buy them but it still hurts when they do go.

Nick

If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 18:36:26 »
just read this-my sympathies to you trailrat, not a lot else i can say but that.
you obviously care for your animals and so they will have enjoyed their time with you.
take care.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal