Author Topic: Finding an allotment partner?  (Read 3791 times)

antdg

• Not So New ...
Finding an allotment partner?
« on: May 11, 2009, 21:48:49 »
Hi

I have an allotment but due to work commitments over the last few years I have really only used about half of my plot. The other half is covered with black plastic to try and keep the weeds down.

My question is how would you go about looking for somebody to share a plot.

I have several concerns about this, what after finding somebody I find we don't have the same ideas etc.

Am I allowed to share my plot. I will pay for the plot annually so no problems on that front.

Has anybody tried to do this before and how did it work out?

Cheers

Antdg
New to this pls be gentle

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Finding an allotment partner?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 22:46:30 »
You need to read your tenancy agreement.  Sometimes you're not allowed to sublet.  If you were to find someone who wanted to work it cooperatively with you without any their-bit and you-bit then actually that isn't a sublease, though you're less likely to find someone who wanted to do that - I certainly wouldn't - and if your council objected you'd have a hard job convincing them.

I'm currently working part of a friend's plot in addition to my own.  The council don't allow it, but they're pretending they don't know.  I wouldn't dream of making trouble for my friend and she wouldn't dream of being awkward.  It's working out very well.

For my two-pence worth, I think you should give up half the plot and let someone on the waiting list have a go.  I'm sure your council would be interested in splitting the plot.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 18:13:07 »
Should add, I believe it's unenforcable if the landlord won't let you sub-let since the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, so it's always an option, but it's safest if you have a written tenancy agreement for your sub-tenant.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 13:30:03 »
I agree, rather than try and find someone to sublet to I would let someone on the waiting list have it, if they are on the waiting list they are obviously keen.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 14:04:01 »
i agree,its such a shame only half the plot has only been used for the last few years,when it could have been feeding a household,given joy to others etc etc.im guessing you havnt got a waiting list?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

beckydore

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 08:17:46 »
Last year I asked on my freecycle cafe if anyone wanted to share. Someone did help out for a while, did some digging, took away some potatoes. But then her back played up so she stopped coming.

I offered it on the basis of helping out / for them to get a bit of knowledge / try out allotment growing without taking on a huge plot and share what is grown.

Last year I had 2 half plots. I gave up one in the spring.

I'd also ask your allotment rep if they are looking to split plots.

Becky

dumbo

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 22:03:07 »
How I wish I had thought of that idea myself! I have since been allowed someone else's plot but the area is terribly grown over and I am told by my plot neighbours that it wasn't cultivated for ages. Have I been taken for a ride just to dig up the weeds and get things into a decent order cos that is how I am besginning to feel? And if you were to share plots who gets the fruit and who the veg etc.,etc.,or does tact and dimplomacy come into it?

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 08:54:55 »
a word of advice to anyone considering helping someone out on their plot,its technically subletting,not allowed on our plot and we take a dim view. if your name is not on the tenancy agreement,you have no claim to the land,for example,you could help out  a chum for years and years,but once he or she gives up the plot,you are gone too.just be careful,and get your names down for your own plots to avoid this heartache
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal