Author Topic: strawberries  (Read 989 times)

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
strawberries
« on: May 10, 2009, 20:40:20 »
Can anyone help me ive put straw in the bed of strawberries as somone has advised me to do this, but was wondering if we should cover raised bed with any protection.

gwynleg

• Hectare
Re: strawberries
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 20:47:47 »
Hi - yes you need to net as birds will eat the strawberries. Take care of slugs also which like them too! Hope I am not teaching grandmother to suck eggs but its important to make sure the netting is pulled tight so birds dont get caught in it and die.
best

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 20:48:36 »
I am going to cover mine,they are in flower now. ;D

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 23:44:49 »
Hmm.  I hadn't considered this.  Do I need to net my strawbs too?
I gave my Mum and Dad the grand tour over the weekend, and they were impressed, but mentioned a variety of things that needed covering or netting - mainly the fruit.

I jokingly said that I have planted enough to feed the birds and myself, but in reality i will be quite miffed if i lose a load of them.

I find nets so annoying as I like to wander around the plot during 'rest' periods and pull weeds here and there, and always find the netted beds a nightmare to weed.

I guess I will see how it goes this year and may net next year (spoken like the lazy novice i am!)
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 23:53:04 »
If you have put straw down you will not have to be concerned about the weeds,I spread it all over :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal