Author Topic: favourite varieties...  (Read 1586 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
favourite varieties...
« on: September 21, 2004, 11:49:02 »
We've done spuds, but what are your other favourite varieties of everything else you've grown?

I've only tried different types of tomatoes so far. This year I grew:

Roma - excellent yield and flavour. Gorgeous for pasta sauces. Easy to grow.

Christmas Grapes - supposed to be yellow, but went red. Small yield, but good flavour.

Black plums - good colour, but a bit small. Excellent for pasta sauces.

Yellow plums - good yield (second best out of the lot). Nice colour. Gorgeous raw - really sweet and fruity.

Berner Rosen - very low yield. A little tricky to grow. But yummy.

I'd definitely grow Roma and yellow plums again.
gone to pot :D

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
Re:favourite varieties...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 12:01:22 »
Tomatoes:

Latah, a supposedly early one - NOT! not a very good croppper with first toms in mid August.
Red Star - ugly looking fruit, but quite a good cropper.
Riesentraube & Maltese Plum - still not ripened, but a couple of them have blossom end rot.
Bloody Butcher - well, not impressed.

Overall, not impressed with tomatoes this year - did better last year with the Red Star and Bloody Butcher.

Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 12:59:22 »
Mine are all still growing/going strong in the house of green, but I am now picking regularly.  

Black plum, masses of dark skinned fruit which have made lots of tom sauce for the freezer.

Golden Queen, DEVINE!  Thin skinned, sweet juicy flesh, sexy on the plate.  Defo for next year.

Xmas grape, nice but small harvest

Hungarian giant....still waiting and they are huge!  Finally reddening up though.

Lemon, nice looking fruits, sweet but not terribly strong flavour.

Marmande - average, but plenty still to come.

Berner Rosen, plenty of toms, okay flavour.

I lost a lot of others on the allotment thanks to the blight so never did try green zebra or yellow plum.  >:(

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 17:11:29 »
I did:
Supersteak - great flavour but not sure if through lack of water (i thought i'd watered them very well actually!)and growing in containers they had huge gash like splits! (looked naff)
Yellow Plum - Crap flavour, may try a few plants next year just wanted for novelty value really.
Sun Sugar - Amazing flavour, sweet and just lovely! My youngest just picked them and popped them straight in her mouth!
Last two seeds got from www.chillifire.co.uk (got some great chilli seeds from there!

Jemma x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal