Author Topic: Wireless wildife cameras?  (Read 2140 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Wireless wildife cameras?
« on: May 10, 2009, 08:38:56 »
Has anyone got any experience of the above, preferably inexpensive. I would like to put one up in the carport to see just how many hedgehogs pass through in the night & what they get up to. The amount of food that is going there are loads. There is one residing in one of the H/H houses, what a whopper. My granddaughter would be proud of the size of poos being left behind :o :o :o. I've  put a red light in the potting shed but don't want to be up all night ;D ;D ;D.
Janet

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Wireless wildife cameras?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 09:35:14 »
Grannyjanny,

depends what you are trying to do - Do you want some decent video, motion detection, stills etc...
Also how good are your computing skills?!?!  Somethong like http://www.dabs.com/products/linksys-by-cisco-wireless-g-internet-home-monitoring-camera-53PX.html#specifications will do the trick but I haven't used that particular model.  It has a built in web server - which basically means you can view the video in a web browser from any PC/laptop on your network.  I would just say two general things.  Make sure you can get the camera quite close to the hogs - preferably not an upstairs window or they will be about ten pixels long!  Then check the wireless signal at that location- a weak signal will produce poor video..

Hope this helps..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Wireless wildife cameras?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 13:45:45 »
Thanks BDN. I am hopeless with computers but OH isn't. Will get him to look at the link you've kindly sent, double dutch to me.
Janet

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal