Author Topic: Brassica collars?  (Read 8099 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Brassica collars?
« on: May 09, 2009, 22:48:54 »
Usually I put cuttings of drainpipe around my brassicas to give them some protection.  I have done this again this year but have also purchased some small 3" circle shaped brassica collars that fit around the base.  They are a flat single layer with a cut  of 1/4 diameter.  Do these work?

http://www.kingsseeds.com/kolist/1/SUNDRIES/PEST+CONTROL/4/45170.htm
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

little pud

• Half Acre
Re: Brassica collars?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 09:39:31 »
yes they do work, i have done this for many years. ;D

pjb

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 10:32:20 »
I think I read somewhere that you can make the same thing from roofing felt, is that correct?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 10:49:11 »
Yep, although I don't use them myself...  :-\

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 10:56:55 »
Darn it, I didnt use these. Would you say they were essential ?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 10:59:29 »
Some sites have more root fly than others... so far I've never needed them... possibly one or two plants keel over once planted out, but I keep spares, whip it out and remove some of the surrounding soil, the replants don't die...  :-X

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 11:06:22 »
Just had a read on the internet. It says that they come in 2 or possibly 3 generations per year and over winter in the ground. The collars sound a good idea. I have not heard anyone on our plots mention these before. So don't know how much of an issue it is.

I think I will make some collars though. How about some of those cheap scouring pads from a pound shop, do you think they would work ? also I have also just read carpet or even thick cardboard would work.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 12:35:35 »
I think anything that will fit snugly around the stem would work although my only thought about scouring pads is if the stem rubs against the pad  would it 'scour' the stem?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 14:11:15 »
I've used bits of old felt- like watering membrane, its soft and sits snugly around the stem. This year I'm trying a few plants without to see if they are really needed.....I expect, like my netting experiment last year, it will turn out that I do need them! ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 14:26:16 »
i have some collars which i forgot about, is it too late to put them on now?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 16:22:05 »
we used carpet underlay last year, disintegrates by the next season but does the job and doesn't damage the neck  :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 17:34:58 »
I used the shop bought cabbage collars and also used carpet underlay.
The shop bought ones can be a little brittle and last year when I used them I snapped off the stem of two of my cabbage seedlings trying to put them on. They work better if you leave them in the sun or a warm place for a while and then they become much more pliable.
The carpet underlay was great and much softer and easier to use. Of course you have to spend the time cutting them out but I would rather use the underlay. I have also used cardboard circles which worked well again much softer than the shop bought ones!!

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 18:47:39 »
they r good as they xpand as the plant grows.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 19:02:05 »
ive taken all my homemade ones off (made from old carpet)cos i kept finding slugs nestled all nice and cosy underneath them,and a few on our site have said they never use them without problems.so ive done the brave thing to experiment (not stopping me worrying though)
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 19:25:00 »
elvis2003, dont worry my friend, they DO work but just remember to water regulary, they will be fine..... ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 19:42:41 »
Darn it, I didnt use these. Would you say they were essential ?

I never use them so in my opinion they are not essential.

I find armillatox is the answer plus it is said to be a good treatment to prevent 'club root'

It says that they come in 2 or possibly 3 generations per year and over winter in the ground.

If they are in the ground; isn't putting collars around them a bit like closing the door after the horse has bolted?

Possibly they are beneficial after the first generation, but considering I grow around 150 brassica plants; I'm glad I have found a simpler technique!

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 21:05:12 »
Apparently cabbage root fly are a bit short sighted and will just land on anything that's green - if it's not a brassica they'll just fly off again, so if you've got lots of bare earth around you're brassicas they stand more chance of landing on them.  There have been a number of experiments done (I think by the HDRA) re: planting other green stuff with your cabbages and it seems to work as it confuses the fly.  They did it by sowing other seeds in the same module as the brassica seed, but I forgot to do that so will try planting lettuces and other stuff out at the same time as I put my cabbages out and I'll see how that goes.

This is all well and good assuming they've got the habits of the cabbage root fly right - I read that they will land on a brassica plant and then crawl down to the base and lay eggs in the soil there - that's why we put collars on, to stop them getting to lay their eggs in the soil.

I'm sure somebody will be along to correct me soon if I'm wrong...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal