Author Topic: Overwintering Arum Lilies and Agapanthus  (Read 6469 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Overwintering Arum Lilies and Agapanthus
« on: September 17, 2004, 11:13:45 »
I want to bring my Arum Lilies and Agapanthus indoors over winter, they are both growing in pots.

1) When do I bring them in, before the first frost or will they survive one or two frosts.

2) Will they be okay stored in a darkish shed (only one window).

3) Do I need to water them during winter?

4) Will the foliage die back or should I expect them to stay green overwinter. i.e. if they die back have I killed them?

:)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re:Overwintering Arum Lilies and Agapanthus
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 18:02:39 »
Hi I can only tell you what I did with my two pots of Agapanthus last winter.
First water with pavardo for vine weevil to make sure they make it through the winter.
I put mine in a shed with little light leave them alone dont water the foliage will die down naturaly just remove it when finished and when new shoots grow in spring water carefully dont waterlog them.
This is my second year the plants came from wilco's cheep ones but beauties this year.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 19:59:06 »
Thanks Teresa, if it worked for you then I'll do the same with my Agapanthus. Not sure about the arum lilies though, will have to visit Google I think.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 20:33:35 »
I have arum lilies in the waterfall at the moment got them this year so when you find out let me know please

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 22:12:47 »
hi,
with regard to the arum lilies:
I can only tell you what I did with my arum lilies last year-my mum also did the same and hers survived. Very simple, I let them die back and left them in their pot to overwinter in the greenhouse.
the greenhouse is heated to frost free only, my instinct would be that the shed would be fine if it's going to protect them from frost.
 I did the same with my agapanthus and both came up again in their own time this year. I let the pots get quite dry, but not completely dry out, began watering again in the spring. My instinct would be that having only 1 window in your shed wouldn't matter over the winter, but it may benefit to put them somewhere lighter come springtime.
Open to hearing others' views though! Let us know what you decide :)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 16:55:53 »
I was going to bubble wrap the agapanthus and leave it outside, but having read your answers I think I'll bring it in before the frosts. It overwintered in the ground last year but as it never flowered I transferred it to a pot. Trouble is it will have to be in the dining room heated, or the unheated shed hmm, think I might still bubble wrap and go for the shed.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal