Author Topic: broccolli and spinach  (Read 2089 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
broccolli and spinach
« on: September 21, 2004, 09:32:06 »
Please tell me more about growing purple sprouting and spinach.

Flicking through the seed catalogues I've taken rather a fancy to both.

I adore spinach and was tempted by one that says it overwinters. Is it easy to protect from the jaws of the little slimy ones?

Does the purple sprouting take up a lot of room? (I'm very limited on space) Can I start it in a pot and plant it after the summer veg has finished?

etc?
gone to pot :D

Learner Gardener

• Not So New ...
Re:broccolli and spinach
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 11:19:02 »
I can't comment on spinach ... hate the stuff ... :-\

But the broccoli, I have sowed in units and then just transplanted into 3 inch pots last week so that they become more established. I intend then to plant them out on the Lottie to over winter. I am told that they do take up quite a bit of room over a long period but you do get substantial amounts as your reward  :)

Broccoli, I am told, is very hardy and should over winter nicely.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 13:03:24 »
My sprouting purple stuff is getting huge, so if space is very tight, I don't know if you would have room for more than one plant.

I have a lovely row of spinach now after the first and second sowings bolted.  I grow perpetual and it is lovely, earthy, waxy and strong flavoured.  I started mine off in modules and then planted out when big enough to handle.  I gave them no protection from slugs and they have remained undamaged, but then everyone else on the plots throws slug pellets around with gay abandon!  What about trying Bright Lights chard?  Fabaroonee colours and similar taste I think.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 13:05:29 »
I have chard seeds already - can I sow that now?
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 17:40:20 »
Well I sowed some, just a few, about a month ago and planted the little plantlets out on Monday.  If necessary I will cover them with fleece of a cloche so I can hopefully have greens through the winter....altho I seem to remember Tim saying they are quite hardy.  Tim??

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 17:55:21 »
I had real success with Perpetual spinach!  I have had a crop for about the last 8 weeks.. I am a little bit tire of it now though I must admit.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 19:02:11 »
Did someone call??

We only grow Rainbow Chard - much prefer it & it's pretty. Ours overwinters & goes to seed in the late Spring. We re-sow in mid April & plant out in mid-May for succession.

Tired of it? You don't have to eat it? Just admire it! Or try some new recipes - there are so many. = Tim

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 21:46:39 »
I am with you Tim, rainbow chard all the way! Less "slimey" and doesn't leave that film on your teeth! Plus the added advantage as you pointed out, fresh greens in the spring! DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 23:04:21 »
Talking of spinach....mine seems to have been 'going forever' having been picking it regularly. Now tho - because I've been away nearly a month, when I went the other day and picked lots of other produce - left the spinach as it was really huge, & looked slightly 'mildewy' or at least had a sort of 'greyish bloom' over some of the bigger leaves. Is this harmful and can it get tough & bitter. It's my original planting from way back.

Am I supposed to do anything with it to keep it going - i.e. pluck most of the bigger leaves off and hope new ones will keep coming.

Maggie

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 23:07:42 »
That is what I would do Hot Pot, break off all the bigger outer leaves, and any that look iffy, then leave the rest to carry on growing.  I believe they can withstand the winter so I guess with the last of the 'warmish' weather they will put on some more growth so you can enjoy winter greens.  ;D

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 23:22:46 »
Thanks - will do E.J. - like the idea of being able to go on enjoying it - I love it. From what you say, presume the frost (when we get some) wont affect it. Have also read that some people say theirs 'has run to seed' - presume that's a different variety.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 23:33:52 »
My first 2 sowings went to seed, but since all the rain started, the 3rd sowing of perpetual spinach has grown just fine, and if I don't pick it often the leaves grow huge!  I know some veggies improve after the frosts, like 'snips and kale...wonder if spinach does also??

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 08:26:08 »
And for Chard, at least, cut or pick cleanly to the base. Don't leave stubs or they will mould. Leaves can be huge & at the same time, if growing fast, still tender. If healthy, they can also protect the 'crown'. = Tim

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2004, 17:36:42 »
Really pleased to be so encouraged by all that's been said about the spinach in spite of the leaves growing so big.

Next time I'm up at lottie, I shall pick & pick and come home staggering under the weight of it all!!.....there's only me and none of my grown-up children like it and no-one else I know of round-a-bout me does.....everyone moans about it being 'too strong' but that's what I like about it!......oh well, will have to keep making flans and freezing for other purposes. If only I had a bigger freezer!!

One final thing - does anyone else have my 'barmy' habit of counting the leaves as I pick them.....one day I counted over 170 before I stopped picking and decided - enough was enough  ??? also, I do as Tim says and pick right at the bottom of the stalk - I actually think they're beautiful leaves, big, dark and lush looking  ::).....ok, ok - I'm stupid

Maggie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal