Author Topic: People walking through plot  (Read 11092 times)

NettleNik

• Not So New ...
People walking through plot
« on: May 08, 2009, 15:56:51 »
Hi! Are there any unspoken rules about walking through other peoples plots? We have several plots to the side of us and the communial water butt is beside our plot on the farside from theirs. Several plot holders walk through our plot rather than going round to get to the water and it is really annoying me - as I have been pegging out our beds and they were walking through them! I'm sure they shouldn't be doing this - it's just laziness and rudeness - it's not as if they lose out on time as it takes just the same to walk via the path! Should I confront these people and ask them to walk around and not through the plot?? ???

raisedbedted

• Hectare
Re: People walking through plot
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 16:01:36 »
Yes definately, you dont want people doing that, compacting your soil, treading any diseases such as club root onto your soil.

Tell them and maybe even put some canes up with string tied between as a visible deterrent.  Communal paths go round plots but any inner ones are private.
Best laid plans and all that

meggzee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 16:17:13 »
You could have words with t'committee and get them to, ahem, "remind" the nice people that what they are doing is NOT NICE! If they were polite they'd ask at the very least.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 16:27:37 »
they sound like ignorant lazy morons to me. Don't they have any common sense or respect for other peoples stuff?

Tell them not to do it again or go for a wander on their beds.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 16:44:41 »
Or, alternatively use natures way of showing where paths should be laid.

I know its rude to walk across others plots, but, if thats where they walk, put a path down for them, and keep them off the rest of your allotment.

Better still, have a word with them and get them to lay a path down.

Otherwise, put up some serious fencing to prevent them. 

Which is cheaper ?

NettleNik

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 16:48:25 »
Thanks for the replies - we have just joined the site so we didn't want to cause any friction, however I think I shall have a word with them all and if they ignore us I shall inform the committee (as we met the chairman day before yesterday and we know who to speak to.) Glad it wasn't just me being prickly! :)

The path is a foot away - so they aren't being put out by keeping to it - I couldn't believe it when they walked through and they then walked back through three allotments to reach theirs! I think I shall have a word with the committee anyway about it - as it is so rude and very blatant.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 17:39:40 »
Welcome to A4A Meggzee...

There should be something about it in the rules and bye-laws at the very least..
Only committee are allowed to enter other people's plots without their express permission.  >:(

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 18:08:29 »
It's in our rules: may not set foot on another's plot without permission.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 18:11:00 »
How very rude of them to walk across your plot. We have a wire fence around ours so they can't  get across it (not that they would) and have trained fruit around the inside of the 2 plots. Tone goes mad sometimes cos he has to walk all the way around
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 18:11:45 »
Land mines.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 18:16:53 »
My guess is; your plot may have been vacant for quite sometime and the route these people take didn't affect anyone in the past.

Having said that I think on seeing the plot being 'worked' they should have had the sense to go the long way round.

I think I wouldn't mention it to any of them and approach the plot secretary about it, meanwhile sticking a hefty obstruction across the walk way to give the hint!

Then hopefully common sense will prevail.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 18:20:02 »
Land mines.

That would be 1 way of clearing an overgwrown plot  ;D

Back on topic, as others have said thats a real no no. Good luck with sorting it out

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 18:20:57 »
was just about to same the same tee gee,couldnt agree more.still,i wouldnt walk across an abandoned lot either,its *inbuilt* in me not to
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 18:29:06 »
Hi Nik, Hi all  :)

Its important to establish the boundaries of your plot when you take on one thats been neglected for a while as people will have got into a habit of walking or driving across it. I built an earth bank on the edge of one of my plots to help people keep their cars off it. Some new tenants on our site seem to be doing the same as a large corner of their plot has been eroded over several years. On my number one plot I have now put a chain link fence along one long side, establishing only one point of entry which is through a gate which is locked when I`m not there. I remind any strangers using the path alongside my plot that they are actually on my plot as I pay rent for and maintain that particular path. They always go round the long way after being challenged. On my pumpkin patch I am establishing a hedge of fruit bushes and will probably put in another fence next year.

Its very rude to enter someones plot uninvited and like walking into somebodys garden. Some people on the site are friends and I wouldn`t have issues with them others are almost unknown to me and some are friends or family members of other plot holders. Friends would never walk through my beds anyway and others wouldn`t get that close.

You are right to be assertive at an early stage. Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 20:19:22 »
check your tenancy agreement, it usually says something like " shall not enter upon any other plot without plot holders express permission"
 ;)
then ask your chairman if other tenants have a copy of said agreement?
I think they are just being rude, and potentially carrying pest and disease or other contaminants onto your plot.
razor wire and machine gun towers usually work!!
You couldn't make it up!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 20:39:46 »
I think I think it is rude and ignorant, the first time it happens with me a wire fence goes up around the lotty which alreadt sits in my shed, :)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 20:46:46 »
I wouldn't bother to confront them because it may cause long term problems, stick up a fence!

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 21:00:41 »

I chicken wired my bit where 'herself' cut through to her friend -- as it was quicker !

Quietly go about your business -- but cut the route off and the message will get

through !

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 22:00:44 »
Cheeky barstards,  :o  I'd stick my fork straight through their big toe, or peg down some string lines as if you've planted something and see if they walk on it then, if not what about putting up a notice, going something like the next fecker to walk through my plot will will get my spade round the back of their bleeding heed.  >:(        ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

NettleNik

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 22:38:41 »
LOL! That made me laugh CorneyKev! Great suggestions everyone - thanks very much for all your replies! ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal