Author Topic: Red clover and compost  (Read 4500 times)

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
Red clover and compost
« on: May 08, 2009, 10:09:16 »
Does anyone have experience composting red clover?

Last year I sowed half my garden as a wildlife meadow, with 5 kinds of grasses, fiddleneck, salad burnet, birds foot trefoil, and red clover.

Very soon I was swamped by fiddleneck, but this year, the clover has absolutely taken over the meadow. So this morning I have chopped it all down to about 5", and built a compost heap that is 70% clover, 20% dry seaweed, and 10% mixed kitchen waste with some woody bits and cardboard. I expect with all that nitrogen in the pile I won't need to add a starter...........any ideas?

The compost heap has filled the compost bin right up, 8' by 3' by 4', and I still have about 15 barrowloads of red clover clippings to deal with. I shall have a go at making liquid fertilizer with some, use some as mulch, and dig some into my last 3 veggie beds (which I just dug fo the first time).

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Red clover and compost
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 18:24:43 »
Not tried it myself but should be fine...  :-\

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 20:08:59 »
I add clover to my compost heaps, but not in that large a percentage!!
It will break down quickly, it's a pity you don't have some high carbon stuff to add (shredded cardboard / straw / shredded paper)
;)
You couldn't make it up!

Bjerreby

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 07:10:51 »
I add clover to my compost heaps, but not in that large a percentage!!
It will break down quickly, it's a pity you don't have some high carbon stuff to add (shredded cardboard / straw / shredded paper)
;)

I've mixed in old dry eelgrass. It washed up last autumn, and after our warm, dry April, it is almost like straw.

Bjerreby

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 06:11:12 »
Well here we are, 4 days on, and the compost heap has reached 45 degrees C according to my thermometer. The pile has already settled about 6".

So much for a mystical mix of yarrow, nettle, dandelion and honey to get the thing warmed up!

Bjerreby

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 06:18:33 »
DAY 10

Well, the heap has shrunk to just 60% of its original height. The maximum temperature was 61 degrees C two days ago, and this morning it was cooling down. I decided to dig in it a bit.

There wasa slight smell of ammonia, and I am told that indicates all oxygen is used up in the pile, so it is time to aerate the thing.

I pulled all the compost out with a fork, and re-piled it again, to get air in. The contents are just slightly moist, and much of it has a white powdery covering, what I understand is a good sign. It looks mostly like half-finished compost!

The only clover I can still recognize is that round the egdes of the heap, and that has now been put in the middle.

The brown corrugated cardboard I put in has completely disappeared along with the kitchen waste, brown paper and the seaweed.

If it continues like this, I shall have finished compost in another month's time....................that will free up the compost box for a hedge clipping pile  :)

So much for mumbo-jumbo quick start concoctions of yarrow, dandelion, nettles and honey!

By the way, I made liquid fertilizer from the left-over red clover. I smelled like sewage and it looks like my potatoes loved it!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 06:20:51 by Bjerreby »

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 11:26:06 »
Clover is used as a green manure, it's sold in garden centers as such. Sow it in autumn, dig it in in spring. It's excellent for composting.

iPhone.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Bjerreby

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 05:44:17 »
DAY 11

Turning the pile worked wonders. It has heated up again, and has visibly shrunk further. It is now just half the original size........in just 11 days.  :o

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 06:52:12 »
Hi Pjerreby. Do you have a special compost bin thermometer please. I would love to know if ours is heating up.
Janet

Bjerreby

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 06:02:01 »
It is an industrial instrument I bought for my work. Ahlborn mess-und regelungstechnik GmbH. www.ahlborn.com (if they still exist!).

It was expensive because it measures between -70 and +500 degrees C. I think a simple glass thermometer would do the trick.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 09:04:38 »
Wouldn't that plastic insulation burn long before it reached 500 Centigrade?

woppa30

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 09:20:16 »
You only put the end of the thermocouple in, not the whole thing  :o

I like the hand thermometer, if its warm, its body temp, if its hots and steamy its getting towards 50-60.

Bjerreby

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 13:11:48 »
Wouldn't that plastic insulation burn long before it reached 500 Centigrade?

The probe is at the end of the stainless steel rod. It gets poked into a tiny hole in a ship's exhaust pipe to measure the exhaust gas temperature inside. There are other locations it works too, like at the turbochargers. I also find it handy for getting the temperature inside a bundle of cables.  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 15:01:24 »
That explains it; the wire wouldn't be exposed to the heat.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal