Author Topic: Weed ID x 2  (Read 1271 times)

lewic

• Hectare
Weed ID x 2
« on: May 08, 2009, 08:20:46 »
Wondered if anyone could identify these weeds please!

Pics 1 and 2 are of these horrid little things that are everywhere! They grow to about 10 inches and have a really long root.

Pics 3 and 4 are of this patch of weed (?) that has sprung up around the edge of my daisies. They started as small round leaves that looked a bit like a pond plant, and the leaves have no elongated as they got bigger, and the leaves are now about 2" long. Am wondering if they might be edible as they are starting to look a bit like salad leaves!

Thanks

Cath

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: Weed ID x 2
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 10:15:53 »
no idea. I suppose if they grow really well, they're not edible  :D

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 12:08:21 »
Is 4 horse-radish ?

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 13:04:52 »
I think your second weed might be either:

'nipplewort' - Lapsana communis;  this is of the Dandelion family and has small yellow flowers.  OR

'Jack in the hedge' sometimes known also as 'garlic mustard' - Alliaria petiolata. this has white flowers and is of the cruciferae family (same as wallflowers)

Don't know the first one - but we have it on our site so would be interested to know what it is too! Was told that it was a North American weed which came in horse feed mixtures - and weed seeds go 'straight through' horses and if you use horse manure on your plot ......     (Bullocks manure is considered by some to be better, as they have four stomaches and weed seeds have more of a chance of being killed off!)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 13:17:40 »
i don't think no2 is garlic mustard we have a lot around my way and it doesn't look like that.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal