Author Topic: Think I have just guaranteed that we have a frost tonight.... Sorry!  (Read 1908 times)

Justy

• Hectare
I KNOW that it is too early and I KNOW that I shouldn't have done it but I needed to get them out of the way so....

I planted out my French Beans!     ::)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
so did i  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
The Tuscan Beaneater

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
Oh no ... me too.   :'( :'(

I started Blue Lake (my usual sort) and Cosse Violette and was blown away by how quickly the Cosse Violette grew!  They are twice the size of the Blue lake and were tangling up with each other so had to go out now.

Think I'd better set another tray tomorrow  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

DaveR

• Not So New ...
    • Life on the plot - the diary of a novice allotmenteer
I KNOW that it is too early and I KNOW that I shouldn't have done it but I needed to get them out of the way so....

I planted out my French Beans!     ::)

Me too, but I planted the seeds straight into the ground. Were yours seedlings? I wonder if I should have done that instead ???

It'll be a miracle if anything grows on my allotment this year - I'm making it all up as I go along!
http://lifeontheplot.blogspot.com/ - the diary of a novice allotmenteer.

Justy

• Hectare
Seeds are fine Dave - mine were 8 inch high plants!!  Every year I forget how quickly they grow  :)

At least if they get frost bitten I can still plant some more straight in the ground!

btw Dave - making it up as you go along is all part of the fun!

STEVEB

• Acre
Remember the possibilities of frost till june
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
I transplanted my runner beans and dwarf beans yesterday, should be OK in Cambridgeshire. If frost is likely, I shall cover some leaving a few for an experiment which is effective on potatoes, watering the frost off before sunrise. A workmate did this in Norfolk (Breckland) in the 1950's and saved 1/2 acre of potatoes.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Kea

• Hectare
Last year, larkshall, many people on my plot (in Cambridgeshire) planted their beans this early and lost them all!

I'd only just sown mine...this year i haven't got that far!

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
I planted some of mine out on 19 April, with netting around the canes - Barlotta di Fuoco, Blue Lake and Neckar Queen, grown in pots. A bit of slug damage on a couple of them, but otherwise they seem to be flourishing (fingers crossed).
Keep Calm and Carry On

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
I put out six rows of dwarf french beans under cloches last week, which will stay on until our open day on the 7th June......I've been caught out by frost on June 2nd and lost all of my beans before............. :-\ I've yet to sow the climbers...... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
I don't have any cloches, let alone six! 

I usually do 3 sowings of climbing beans anyway - the first one is a gamble for an early harvest, the next one (now) will be the main one and the last one will be planting direct at the beginning of June.  I find I get the crops staggered for longer that way!

The way I figure it you get 200 plus beans in a packet so 24 in a seed tray with a bit of compost is a lot cheaper and less time consuming for me and my budget!

Having said that I bet you get the first harvest Debs  :P :P :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

N8R

• Quarter Acre
mine have been out about 3 weeks and are doing  fine ;D....n8r

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
I'm waiting until the end of May to plant mine out. Don't see the point of doing the same job twice
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Same here, they wouldn't grow much earlier, even if we avoid frost. If they're not growing, then eventually the slugs get them.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal