Author Topic: 1 metre square bulk storage tank - what hose fittings?  (Read 3321 times)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
I was very lucky to be given one of those large sorage tanks in metal cages, all washed out and ready to use. It will collect the rainwater from my new shed as we have no mains water on site and no convenient watercourses nearby.

However the outlet of the tank seems to be a large diameter - also the lever very stiff. I think trying to fill a watering can from this will probably leave me completely drenched! Can anyone help me out by letting me know where i can get hose fittings which may help me fill up safely?

Thanks for your help/advice in advance.  :)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: 1 metre square bulk storage tank - what hose fittings?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 19:03:32 »
Suzanne,
            I think if you want an exact fitting for your tank you will have to find a plumbers merchants your tank is an industrial one take the diameter measurement of the pipe I think the thread will be metric or even try B&Q and look in their plumbing department, :)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 19:07:42 »
Thanks, will do.

Being a complete novice at this stuff I had thought they were all the same size so just assumed that there would be a "supplier" out there with a warehouse full somewhere.

naff

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 19:17:37 »
If it came with a screw on cap(as mine did) just drill it centrally 5/8th inch diameter and fit a Conex tank connector(15mm) then you can fit a standard tap. There are adaptors available for these at some plumbers merchants.

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 22:48:10 »
Look on ebay under IBC water tank and you'll find several suppliers. I got one from a place in Wrecsam.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 23:42:06 »
There are a few options you can get a direct hose connector or a water butt style tap like the ones shown here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120406860347
Alternately you could get a 1/2" brass tap which can be used with or without with a hose fitting:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250416407294

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 11:58:52 »
You are all fantastic - looks to be plenty of choice, so i'll get this sorted out tonight. :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 17:01:02 »
A square metre of water will weigh quite a bit. Make sure your tank support is up to the job, If it fell on anyone it would hurt.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 19:52:27 »
A square metre of water will weigh quite a bit. Make sure your tank support is up to the job, If it fell on anyone it would hurt.
It will way exactly one metric tonne, or 1,000 kilo's in modern money!! ;)
(plus the weight of the tank itself) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal