Author Topic: mattock  (Read 12576 times)

ACE

• Hectare
mattock
« on: May 06, 2009, 17:25:32 »
Pretty soon now this years batch of  new plotholders will be asking questions about azadas. There are loads of different ones on the market, but some of them are complete rubbish, too light, wrong handles etc.

So save yourself a lot of hassle and get down to B&Q. They have mattocks for sale for the same price as you would normally pay for a new handle, £17.00. This is one of the best tools I have used in all my years gardening, stripping the top layer off, digging, rooting out stumps even hoeing.  You will need to be fit to use it but if you are not you will soon build up muscles.

Also in the store they have some nice  heavy duty tools at the moment, cost a bit more but will last for years. trenching spades,rakes, shovels, these arn't those p!ssarsey ladies tools. Good old fashioned grafters.

Kea

• Hectare
Re: mattock
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 17:43:48 »
Seconded! ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 17:48:06 »
Thirded, 1 of the best tools I ever bought (and gets lent out a lot too....)

ooo you do have a way with words  ;D     
Also in the store they have some nice  heavy duty tools at the moment, cost a bit more but will last for years. trenching spades,rakes, shovels, these arn't those p!ssarsey ladies tools. Good old fashioned grafters.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 17:54:43 »
One of the most useful tools I own but the price sounds wrong, I paid £5.95 for a 5lb pick mattock in the local ironmongers since then I've also bought a 7lb grubbing mattock from a builders merchants for about £8.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 18:14:42 »
They tend to be expensive from garden suppliers or GC's, I don't know why. I got one for under a tenner in the Rag Market.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 18:31:24 »
Plenty down our local cattle market on a Tuesday but I bought mine off E-bay it arrived in fortyeight hours and came all the way from Portugal, :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 18:41:48 »
If I swung one o them I would probably go flying over the top of it. ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

pamsdish

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 18:59:38 »
I borrowed my neighbours to remove some lawn,
 and i have never found such a useful tool ,
 they are heavy ,and i had to have frequent rests,
 but it still did the job in a quarter the time it would have taken me to dig it up
and then i broke up the soil underneath as well    ;) ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 19:08:15 »
I know they are expensive, But unless you know the tool, and where to get them (unlike most newbies) It ain't bad as it will last a lifetime. Plus these have a sort of shock wave handle. I paid £15 for a decent handle a few years ago as the one mine came with gave me blisters

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 19:59:48 »
I have a friend who lives in Portugal & her sister was visiting her at christmas & she brought us back a 21/2ld azada, it cost 51/2euros which at the time was £5.50. It has been such a useful tool to us.
Janet

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 20:18:49 »
Pretty soon now this years batch of  new plotholders will be asking questions about azadas

LMAO that was me last August, asking about tools.

I ended up buying a medium Azada that was no good for what I wanted it for (I should have hired a JCB), but its great for smashing up the clay soil into an (almost) fine tilth after I've gone over it with a fork, a pointy hand Azada that I've never used, a reverse-fork hoe thingy that kills my back as the handle is too short, and a rather expensive scythe that ended up on Freecycle as once I'd hacked the long weeds I didnt need it anymore, and didnt want to go tripping over it in the shed.

And I bought the B&Q mattock with the orange head which does the job but the head doesnt stay on very well. Occasionally I take it back and complain, and someone comes out and stamps on it to tighten it up.. but the warranty runs out in August so I might go and swap it for something else.....

Al37

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 20:34:47 »
Okay so whats an azada ??? ??? ???
Only joking,  ::) ;D ;D ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 20:45:44 »
I found a mattock a bit heavy so find a Chillington hoe rather easier to use.

halibut-t

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 21:59:07 »
I use my mattock for trenching the spuds and when used lightly do the trench for the peas as well, in fact I've even used it to uproot a couple of old trees, you do get a bit of a sweat on but it is probably the most versatile tool I have. Got it for a fiver as well so a bonus :D
Only dead fish go with the flow!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 07:26:25 »
Lewic, When we put the handle on the azada we soaked it overnight in water.
Janet

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 09:57:23 »
Azada is really good for clearing used a bit like a scythe. I used it to plant my potatoes make a trench then mound up but for heavy duty work the mattock rules!

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 10:08:17 »
Just been given a terrific one for my birthday, brought back from Spain by my friend's son in law Benito.  Left it in the pond overnight to soak the wood. Can't think how I managed without it! ;D
Keep Calm and Carry On

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 22:30:10 »
I use this one:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Builders-Tools/Grubbing-Mattock-and-Handle-Set/invt/501585
It cost me a tenner about three years ago.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

siandc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 21:37:32 »
We got our plot last summer......it WAS dry for a bit honest.... and the ground was bone dry and I'm no stranger to digging. I ended digging a whole half plot with a pick axe, nothing else would touch it!!!  :o
By the end I was using it for digging, breaking up the soil weeding and raking!!! Real multi purpose and all for £13!!! ( my old one got "borrowed") ::)

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 22:06:58 »
I bought mine at the local ironmongers cost = £7.00

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal