Author Topic: Bush tomatoes in a greenhouse  (Read 1603 times)

Tenuse

• Acre
Bush tomatoes in a greenhouse
« on: September 20, 2004, 14:55:24 »
Hi all,

I grew some Roma tomatoes outdoors this year on my allotment, they were going great guns until the dreaded blight struck and killed them all.

I was wondering how feasible it would be to grow a bush tomato like this in a greenhouse - could they be encouraged to grow upwards in the same way a cordon variety is - has anybody grown bush tomatoes in a house before?

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Bush tomatoes in a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 15:05:16 »
Roma's only grow to a certain height, so it wouldn't be worth trying to cordon them. Why not try for a cordon type that is similar? I'm sure I've seen some red plum toms that cordon in the catalogues.

I've grown Romas outside for two years running. They missed the blight last yaer, but have suffered this year. I think most people's have. My mum's have, even in her greenhouse. Might be worth giving them another go outside next year - if we have more favourable weather, they may not be affected by the blight. Or go for a blight resistant one.
gone to pot :D

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 15:14:49 »
I've got about 300 seeds left so I think I will be having a go outside again. Got to get some kind of structure in place though to stop them trailing on the ground so much!

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 15:59:48 »
I tie mine up. THis year they were near a fence, so I tied string to the fence and then tied the other end to each branch of the plant. Slugs seem to get them before me if they touch the ground!
gone to pot :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal