Author Topic: Garden Centres  (Read 3493 times)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Garden Centres
« on: May 08, 2009, 13:15:58 »
I must first declare a vested interest.

I was in my local one a couple of days ago(yes I do visit them)-and their tomato prices were just unbelievable-99p for MM etc is bad enough but they now offer `Heritage` varieties at £1.49!! ::)

Oh well no doubt the owners are rich but I prefer to offer the customer plants at sensible prices and make enough to break even, as what I take funds my passion to try new varieties

I ask 60p btw ;)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Garden Centres
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 13:28:33 »
bet they aren't as well-looked after as yours, either  :)
we went to b&q yesterday for diy stuff, just had a nosey at their veggie plants  :o
half of them are dead and people are buying the un-dead ones, do they think they'll survive ?

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 13:32:06 »
homebase had loads of cherry tom plants and chili plants dripping with unripe fruit last weekend ::) i didn't even look at the price, just walked on by :D.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 13:57:42 »

I ask 60p btw

I agree with you about GC prices. OK they have overheads etc but I know how much it costs me to produce a tomato plant an their prices are sometimes rediculous added to which the plants are not always in prime condition.

For years I have sold mine for 45p each or 5 for £2 but this year I have upped my price to 50p each and even at this price I feel guilty of over charging.

I hold on to the plants until planting out time so that it is just a case of planting out i.e. no hardening off etc to do!

I did consider 60p each but that meant a 33% hike on my prices and I didn't think I could justify this.

I know that my costs have gone up e.g. compost is up a third and electricity has nearly doubled this year but I am quite happy at 50p.

I only grow for a chosen few i.e. those who ask me before February so that I can grow to order rather on speculation.

Plus in the past I have had a few defaulters (non-payers) You will all know the type; I haven't brought any money down to the allotments so I'll pay you the next time I see you..............I am still waiting for a few >:(

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 14:00:08 »
I was at Blooms yesterday.They have started to have a large variety of veg :).They did look healthy but were expensive.

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 14:21:48 »
Our local Sainsurys had veg plants in the foyer this week so I had a quick look.  They were asking £2.99 for a tray of 12 French beans, £1.39 for a Moneymaker Tom and (this one had be aghast) £1.3 for a courgette plant !  Glad I grow all mine from seed and give away my spares to friends!

Daren't even look in the local Garden centre ...... :o
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 14:27:38 »
£1.39 for a Moneymaker Tom

That makes sense-a silly price for a silly tomato ;)

skyblu

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 14:30:18 »
homebase had loads of cherry tom plants and chili plants dripping with unripe fruit last weekend ::) i didn't even look at the price, just walked on by :D.

I did...£6.99!  :o
http://packdoughty.wordpress.com/  gardening and greyhounds....

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 14:54:49 »
I was at the local market this morning, couldn't resist it even though I said I'd grow everything from seed this year but 12 lettuces,  6 peppers  and 6 aubergines for €3.10 I thought was pretty good.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 14:55:20 »
80p each or 3 for £2 at our bi weekly market.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 14:59:43 »
£1 a plant is expensive, but if you only want 1 or 2 plants its cheaper than buying a packet of seed + the smallest bag of compost you can find + the pots to sow them in + all the effort.

Not everyone wants a ploytunnel full and some people dont know how to sow seeds - they just watch the instant garden/makeover programs and believe everything comes fully grown.

The garden centres do it year after year, so people must buy them !

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 16:26:58 »
at i think it was focus diy a couple of weeks ago there were childrens pots
little 3 inch coloured pots with 3 carrot seedlings in them for £1.99
had to laugh

lbb

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 18:24:39 »
£1 a plant is expensive, but if you only want 1 or 2 plants its cheaper than buying a packet of seed + the smallest bag of compost you can find + the pots to sow them in + all the effort.

Good point!

Never looked at it in that light!

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 18:31:18 »
however... if you get your allotment late in the season and haven't time to grow everything from seed it is nice to be able to buy a few things to keep your sprits up as you dig! We had our village carnival last week and some stalls were charging £2.99 for a sweet pea, I'll be more organised next year and sow a few extra, at that price I have about a hundred pounds worth in my garden and plot!!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 18:31:54 »

Good point!

Never looked at it in that light!

I've bought them for that exact reason in the past, and got good results so happy with my purchases. The problems I found was I couldn't get interesting varieties and you had to be pretty picky where you bought them and what condition the plants were in. I think its sometimes the old "cash rich time poor" scenario

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 18:38:32 »
There's always allotment plant sales....   ::)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 19:09:24 »
we were in B and Q today,they were selling some right shabby cabbage plants etc for 1.50 x 3
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 20:46:09 »
We had our village carnival last week and some stalls were charging £2.99 for a sweet pea, I'll be more organised next year and sow a few extra, at that price I have about a hundred pounds worth in my garden and plot!!
good grief, we were selling a black buckit-full for 3.00

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 22:00:04 »

But for 25p you can buy a nice tomato, scrape out about 100 seeds then eat the tomato.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal