Author Topic: Ramshorn Snails.  (Read 2459 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Ramshorn Snails.
« on: May 17, 2009, 00:20:55 »
Decided to clear the water surface as the 'Ivy-leaved duckweed' had really taken a hold during the winter.
Trouble was, the snails were having a feast & were also mixed up with the oxygenating mass which had survived the winter (amazing). I delayed the clean up to allow the taddies to piddle off but found only a few. Where do they disappear to??
Took hours, but recovered literaly hundreds of snails. My pond must be a reproductive heaven.
Back to the post title - I originally bought 6 ramshorns some 5 yrs. ago for what? - 1- £2 each?
I am now a snail millionare.
Oh! and I netted two lovely newts & the 'James Brydon' Lily is now coming in to it's own!
Fish - Nah!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: Ramshorn Snails.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 00:48:45 »
we snaffled a few rams from uncle in laws pond,now noticing squillions of teen tiny snail babies,delighted as we only started our pond off 2 months ago,i guess they are prolific breeders????
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Sharonjayne

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 20:21:11 »
Have a fairly deep pond around 8ft x 8ft.  Just can't get it clear.  No electric for filters.  Have lots of oxygenating plants and have introduced Ramshort snails, does anyone have any other suggestions please?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 08:05:52 »
Ramshorns are good for keeping algae in check but don't stop the water going green. If you add some filter feeders like swan mussels or pea mussels they should help clear the water. Have you got an adequate number of floating plants? generally you aim for roughly 2 thirds coverage, without that cover it is extremely difficult to keep water clear without electric filters.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 08:23:46 »
What Mr Baccy says, or get red of the fish & put some daphnia in there.

Sharonjayne

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 21:36:30 »
Thanks for the advice.  I am a newby to this site and am loving it. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal