Author Topic: Help with brambles  (Read 1782 times)

Mr Music

Help with brambles
« on: May 04, 2009, 09:12:11 »
Good morning, everyone,

I am a complete, utter novice at gardening and allotments.  We acquired a plot of land behind the house which has never been cultivated.  We cut down the brambles and nettles, and dug and dug and dug, starting about a year ago and keeping going on and off but not digging the whole area.  Rather dishearteningly, the brambles have come back even where we dug twice.  I have decided to resort to Roundup.  My question is, how soon after spraying can I mow the area to leave it looking more acceptable?  I was hoping to mow it after a week, by which time the Roundup should have got into the root system.  Any advice would be most gratefully received.

I've checked the weather forecast for here (Totnes in south Devon) and there's no rain for quite a few days, so now's a good time to spray.

If for some reason this request is in the wrong part of the site, I'll happily move it, of course.  By the way, our ultimate goal is to establish raised vegetable beds, but I realise that we are some way off right now.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Help with brambles
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 18:28:09 »
The top of our plot was covered with brambles and we dug them out the first year. Some came up the second year. Dug those out as they appeared and now we only have the odd one that comes up here and there. I have used roundup but I find that it doesnt work too well on real hardy stuff.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal