Author Topic: Cooking Oca  (Read 4346 times)

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
Cooking Oca
« on: February 05, 2010, 15:41:16 »
Okay, just been and dug up a few Oca...

Now, what's your favourite ways of eating/cooking them?  How shall I use them?  How do they need to be prepared after digging to eating?  Do they need to be left in the light before eating?

mat

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Cooking Oca
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 17:18:34 »
I'm having some roasted tonight with chicken. Quick wash and then into the roasting tin with the chicken, a little drizzle of olive oil, small bulb of garlic cut in half, half a lemon and a generous sprinkle of taragon. Seasoned with salt and ground black pepper. Yum
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 17:21:51 »
Clean them well; dirt gets trapped in some of the wrinkles. I've only cooked them once, last night in a soup. I didn't time it, I just boiled them till the biggest were soft enough, and did them in a soup with lots of blended down veg - broadies, JA's, PSB - chicken, master sauce (the result of boiling meat in soy sauce) and spices.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 17:24:15 »
See http://www.exoticfarm.com/chioca_rec.html
for plenty of inspiration.
They can be cooked lots of ways. I like them sliced and fried with onions. If you are in a hurry, microwave them before frying.  My 'Red with White Eyes' does not need to be 'Sunned' to reduce the oxalic acid - it already seems to be low, but other varieties can be different.  Traditionally in South America they are used a lot in stews. And don't forget you can use them raw, grated in salads, or just to munch on.

Sue7

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 10:06:33 »
Traditionally in NZ (where we call them yams) we just roast them - absolutely delicious!  Also slice them into stir fries but mostly roasted which I think brings out the best flavour.  But you do need to wash them well to get all the dirt out of the creases. 

I have managed to source and grow them here but it hasn't been easy!  Where did you buy your tubers from?

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 10:37:43 »
Where did you buy your tubers from?

Thanks everyone

Due - I got a few from Edulis, but they were not great quality
I got the rest (a mix of red/white/pink and orange) from ebay, and they came well wrapped and were all very good quality... cannot remember seller.  The 20 ebay "tubers" cost me less than the 3 dodgy ones from Edulis.

So it seems I don't need to leave them in the sun  ??? ::) for a few hours to reduce the oxalic acid?!

Can they be mashed?

I will try the few I dug yesterday tonight

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 13:21:00 »
Welcome to A4A Sue7... haven't tried mashing them... just stir fried, will try some raosted...  :)

Sue7

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 12:32:25 »
I have never heard about needing to leave them in the sun to reduce the oxalic acid. I can only go by what I know from all the years eating them in NZ while growing up but maybe different strands require different treatment. The tubers I bought here were a bit different in colour to the ones we had in NZ but essentially tasted the same.

To me they are definitely best roasted - brings out the nutty flavour.  Make sure you roast them well - until they shrink a bit but not over do it.  Hard to explain - comes with practice. 

Will look on ebay for some more. Thanks for the tip

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 17:01:08 »
If you want some tubers drop me a PM.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal