Author Topic: Amusing your kids on the plot  (Read 2759 times)

zaz283

• Quarter Acre
  • Life's just too short
    • Allotment Heaven
Amusing your kids on the plot
« on: May 02, 2009, 07:13:10 »
Hi all... Please let me know what works for you to keep the grandchildren/children amused while you're furiously trying to fit in a little more planting before their patience explodes.

Up to now I've let my grandsons play with planks, large plant pots and bits of scaffold netting. It's amazing how long that'll hold their imagination while they make a castle, truck etc. etc..

I'm looking ahead to when that'll wear thin... all ideas gratefully accepted!

Thanks, John
We can wish & we can wish
But we can never have
What once seemed ours forever

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

gardentg44

• Hectare
Re: Amusing your kids on the plot
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 07:20:03 »
I fasten a piece of wood in the vice,

then give him a hammer and nails,

he plays there for hrs.

they soon learn not to hit there fingers ;D

i also have a small tent for him to play in
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 07:59:28 by gardentg44 »
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 07:21:16 »
What about a bug kit (magnifying glass and container and id book of bugs) My kids adore rootling about looking at insects etc. They also have their own scaled down tools.
Jackie

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 07:54:29 »
depends on age really, mine are 2 and 4 and we always go around lunchtime at the weekend (anywhere between 10 ans 1!) and I take pack lunches for them of sandwiches, smoothies, satsumas, etc so they treat it as a picnic and sit on the bench eating. After that they pretend to be horses and gallop over planks and bricks (they are girls!) today I am taking an old plastic kitchen down to keep in the shed and bring out as a special allotment toy, cost me a fiver off ebay, well worth it!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 07:55:33 »
Now that is a good idea Hector. I wouldn't mind having a go at that meself
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 08:20:07 »
Depending on their ages, I find bribery to find weeds, slugs or snails with cash per item works well and does you a favour at the same time...... ; ;)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 09:16:14 »
Dig a small hole and plant them up to their knees, tell them they will grow bigger like the plants you are growing.

That way you will know exactly where they are and you can get on with your work.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 10:45:42 »
One family bring a small lightweight tent up to the allotment for their son.  He has his own little camp and it protects him from the sun and he has a blanket if it is cold.  He can play with his toys and watch his parents work. 

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 11:48:56 »
It is probably time for people to think about runner beans - perhaps you could have a wigwam arrangement but leave one cane missing - as a door. One could hide in the wigwam later in the year! Perhaps with enough room for a small chair....
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 12:19:19 »
Mine is 8 and has long since lost interest in the planting.  I find that he is happiest in the shed with his DS!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 17:27:07 »
What is your site policy on fires  ;D

chrisc

NettleNik

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 20:41:20 »
I have a son of 1yrs (nearly 2) and I take up lots of scaled down gardening tools (wheelbarrow,spade,mower etc) for him and a tractor sit on that he can trundle up and down. My 11 year old helps with the digging. We plan on putting in a sandpit for the younger one. The family next door to us bring the kids bikes up so they can ride around the site. The older one brings a book for the end of the day when we are all sitting down having a picnic tea. Nik.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 22:26:01 »
My 8yr old daughter has lost interest.  My 5yr old son likes to be involved.  He gets bored and whinges constant when he is not.  He loves helping transplant plug plants, sowing peas, other seeds, seed potatoes.  The whole nine yards.... except the weeding ::) ::)   He has his tools for digging an area that I am not working or an area that is waiting for transplants.  He also has snacks & DS for when he has a break. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 21:05:27 »
Are there no other children on your site? My little grandsons, 2 and 3, gallop up and down the paths with other children, build communal shelters out of twigs, look for frogs in the dip tanks, help sow seeds by stabbing the ground with twigs wherever they are, play in a sand pit I got them, eat BBQ food, pick spinach etc and generally lark about.

The older ones (7, 11, 13 x 2) light competitive bonfires, cook sausages and marshmallows on sticks, build bigger communal shelters and also lark about.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 08:00:03 »
You are really lucky Artichoke.  Unfortunately there are no other children on our site (and most of the other lottie holders frown on my one little, well behaved 8 year old).  He will roam about as much as he can (without the other plot holders moaning) but it is hard when he on his own.  Sometimes he take a friend with us but I am so stressed out by worrying if they are getting on the other plot holders nerves or being too noisy that it is usually not worth the effort.   :(

It is a shame really as I bet those same moany old so and so's are the ones that complain about kids spending too much time indoors watching TV or playing computer games.

shadowdragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 08:46:36 »
It is a shame really as I bet those same moany old so and so's are the ones that complain about kids spending too much time indoors watching TV or playing computer games.

That is such a valid point I feel it deserves a quote. I dont have any young children, but my friend nipped down to the allotment with his son who he has at weekends, he loved it he was digging a hole in some unused land to find worms to feed the chickens, he then helped by moving the weeds i had pulled out onto the pile to be burnt. He is only 7 and was really quite helpful.

I personally wouldnt have a problem with children down our plot as long as they werent screaming or damaging anything.
People kept saying I had lost the plot, but found it again when I got my Allotment.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 09:04:24 »
I'm waiting for Chriscross' next installment!

shadowdragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 09:10:36 »
I'm waiting for Chriscross' next installment!

People kept saying I had lost the plot, but found it again when I got my Allotment.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 18:27:51 »
oooooh - is that Children of the Corn film?  Scared me silly when I was young! 

shadowdragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 08:25:22 »
oooooh - is that Children of the Corn film?  Scared me silly when I was young! 

yup  ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal