Author Topic: When do I know if my potatoes have failed  (Read 2019 times)

kennethc

When do I know if my potatoes have failed
« on: April 30, 2009, 23:12:28 »
Hi all,
First time to plant potatoes, which I did 4 weeks ago approx.  I planted 10 Wilja seed potatoes (2nd earlies) into the ground after digging and adding compost and after chitting them beforehand for 2 weeks approx.  There's no sign of growth above ground - have they failed or is there a way of checking?
I'm a complete novice.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Kenneth.

oliveoyl_25

• Half Acre
Re: When do I know if my potatoes have failed
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 23:14:15 »
How much soil did you cover them with?  Have you watered them at all, as it's been so dry these past few weeks?

kennethc

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 23:16:18 »
Covered with 6 inches of soil. Watered also but we've had rain in Kent.

oliveoyl_25

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 23:36:19 »
Well I planted Charlotte 2nd earlies about 4 weeks ago too, not as deep, and there's nothing showing yet either. I planted some Anya 1st earlies about 6 weeks ago and they only started to show their heads last week (and again, probably not as deep as yours). I'm sure they'll be fine.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 23:38:21 »
Good things come to those that wait. When they do eventually show they should gallop away.

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 05:10:32 »
As has been said they should be fine. To give yourself piece of mind, uncover one and check. The green shoots should not be far from the top.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 07:55:28 »
Potatoes don't fail! Just be patient....

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 08:04:18 »
I have 10 rows totalling 27kg of seed potatoes with nothing showing yet.  They will all come with time.   Outside germination is slower this year due to colder temperatures than recent years.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

kennethc

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 08:32:24 »
Many thanks to all who responded, it's greatly appreciated!

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 08:55:33 »
As others have said, everything comes to those who wait. My Pentland Javelin planted on 22 March have only just begun to show.  Charlotte planted on 4 April are not showing yet but I expect to see them coming through within the next week or so.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 09:04:48 by hopalong »
Keep Calm and Carry On

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 08:58:54 »
I don't think I've ever heard of potatos failing in conditions we've had for the last couple of weeks..... I'd understand it if we'd had some vicious late frosts with codl days between....... My well chitted spuds only started to show a couple of days ago...... need to sort out some earth to earth them up with soon.... I'm growing them through holes in weed mulch :-)

chrisc

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 09:07:31 »
i f growing through a membrane you shouldnt need to earth them up as there under cover what i would suggest maybe some staw to block the light out but soil would be a heavy unneccasery and time consuming if you have planted under neath membrant leave the plants grow up after flowering they should see loads of spuds under the membrane have to be carefull for slugs this way they love the warmth

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 10:37:36 »
i f growing through a membrane you shouldnt need to earth them up as there under cover what i would suggest maybe some staw to block the light out but soil would be a heavy unneccasery and time consuming if you have planted under neath membrant leave the plants grow up after flowering they should see loads of spuds under the membrane have to be carefull for slugs this way they love the warmth

ditto :)

Lilylady

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 21:08:21 »
Hello all, I am new to this site and new to vegetable gardening.  I don't have an allotment yet, I am on our local site waiting list. 

I have planted potatoes in deep pots at Easter.  I have had new shoots just beginning to show over the last couple of days.  My question is ... when do I start to earth up? 

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 21:22:30 »
hiya, lilylady, welcome to the site  ;D
we leave ours until they are about 6 to 8" tall then earth up, if there is a bit of a frost forecast, we stick a bit of fleece over them to keep it off

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 13:18:40 »
I have just been earthing up and 3 of my 5 rows have little leaves poking through whereas not a peep on the other 2! Same variety planted at the same time  ??? Strange.   I wouldn't worry about yours though Kenneth - they will be there eventually!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 17:41:08 »
Any time now Ken, any time now, hang on I think one has just popped his head up.     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 21:16:43 »

Dosed the site (especially the spuds and Oca and JA's) with Nemasysa week or so ago..... all of a sudden I'm not seeing very many dead slugs on the pellets or in the beer traps so I think it must have worked.......

chrisc

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 09:32:31 »
Different lots of seed come up at different speeds. My Duke of York and Cara are poking through, but nothing else is showing.

the-goodlife

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 11:03:27 »
same here with my maris peers, but the ground has not been as warm and with the late snow we had may of slowed things down a little, i reckon about another week, my first earlys have only just come through.

When i dug down in the garden my soil is a sandy soil and is bone dry as a norm but after the late snow its still very wet 2foot down
today i will be growin veg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal