Author Topic: I love the sound of breaking glass - Not.  (Read 2372 times)

ThomsonAS

• Quarter Acre
I love the sound of breaking glass - Not.
« on: May 04, 2009, 22:14:15 »
People of a certain age will recognise this title as being the same of Nick Lowe's 1970's hit single.

But I'm dealing with the consequences of broken glass thirty years on from Nick!

And  I'm sure I'm not the only person to have an allotment with random caches of broken glass (in my case some is sheet glass, some bottle glass but some appears to be chunks of bl**dy car headlights!).

I don't have a greenhouse (love to, but too expensive) but would like to ask  those who do what is the most effective and safe way to remove the nastly little pieces you can't get with gloves? And how do fok dipose of them (I'm lucky - my council provides an onsite glass recycling bin - but I understand that this is not usual).

Interested in how others deal with this problem

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: I love the sound of breaking glass - Not.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 22:19:44 »
Every one on this site shouted me down when I mentioned the dangers of greenhouse glass and the fact that my son had a problem with an old greenhouse in his garden, and 3 young children.  Took him ages to get rid of the splinters.  Luckily today greenhouse glass is or should be shatter proof, like a car windscreen, not great big splinters.  Hopefully people that have greenhouses today have the stronger glass/safety glass.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 22:20:40 »
I just pick them up and, along with any other inorganic rubbish like rotting net, wire, rusty nails etc, they go in an old compost bag and on the next rubbish skip.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 23:33:32 »
I put 3 fruit trees in the piece of ground where the glass mine is !"!
 ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 06:19:56 »
I just pick them up and, along with any other inorganic rubbish like rotting net, wire, rusty nails etc, they go in an old compost bag and on the next rubbish skip.

Me too Ceres.

It has been warm and dry here all April, and the rain only fell 2 nights ago. I decided to leave one of my cold frames propped open to let some rain in, and at 1 o'clock in the morning, I was woken by the sound of glass smashing. The cold frame prop had slipped.

I've fixed the damage, and I have to say the glass didn't shatter much. There were a few tiny chips and some bigger pieces I could simply gather by hand. I put them in the dustbin.

By the way. I glue all my glass in place using Sikaflex. Repairs like this are done by simply glueing a new pane on top without removing all the old bits which are intact and secure. The end result is rather like laminated glass..........maybe as much as 10 times stronger glazing than just a single thing pane of glass.

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 06:44:34 »

Me too Ceres.

It has been warm and dry here all April, and the rain only fell 2 nights ago. I decided to leave one of my cold frames propped open to let some rain in, and at 1 o'clock in the morning, I was woken by the sound of glass smashing. The cold frame prop had slipped.

I've fixed the damage, and I have to say the glass didn't shatter much. There were a few tiny chips and some bigger pieces I could simply gather by hand. I put them in the dustbin.

[By the way. I glue all my glass in place using Sikaflex. Repairs like this are done by simply glueing a new pane on top without removing all the old bits which are intact and secure. The end result is rather like laminated glass..........maybe as much as 10 times stronger glazing than just a single thing pane of glass.
]

what a good idea .got loads of clear silicone ,

will that do the same job as sikaflex?
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 07:04:29 »
I think Sikaflex is "silicone". There are quite a few varieties of the stuf for different applications, but any "silicone" for sealing will probably do the trick.

Bye bye putty!

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 07:10:23 »
So i am out with the Sikaflex gun today then ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 07:20:50 by gardentg44 »
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 07:16:34 »
People of another era might remind you that  'during the war' they used to use sticky tape across the panes of glass.

If you have sticky tape. Then wrap it round a thick clove sticky side out.

Dab it on to the glass splinters.

Granted it will pick up other things too but it could help. 

It is also a good way to remove any fluff from your good dark suit before you wear it out next.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal