Author Topic: After Rose's ?  (Read 2036 times)

Len

• Quarter Acre
  • Len
    • International Allotments
After Rose's ?
« on: September 18, 2004, 21:00:52 »
The rose's forming a border around my front garden seem to have had their day. They are 15 years old, a bit thick and some have black spot which I do not seem able to get rid of. I would like to know what to replace them with as I was told not to replace rose's with rose's?

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re:After Rose's ?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 23:28:48 »
Thats about right if your roses have black spot so will the new ones.
 But saying that if you dig out all the soil and replace it with fresh then you should be ok.
 Bit drastic I know or simple option evergreen shrubs yellow/green white/green even green and have a patch work quilt will look good summer and winter.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 09:23:36 »
We have a front garden near us that is hedged with lavender, making a hedge of approx 2 feet high (higher when the flowers are there)x 2 feet wide. In winter it's not exciting to look at but in summer it is wonderful. I choose to walk the "long way home" just to be able to walk past the lavender, you can smell it before you see it (especially on a hot day) and it is buzzing with bumble bees. They are easy enough to grow from cuttings if you need to fill gaps at a later stage and don't need much watering during summer.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 09:24:48 by Jesseveve »
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Len

• Quarter Acre
  • Len
    • International Allotments
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 13:33:13 »
I do not like the thought of replacing all the soil but Lavender sound nice would remind me of the fields in France. Thanks Len

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 16:47:32 »
Lavender is beautiful and so easy to grow from seed if I can do it anyone can
teresa

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal