Author Topic: asparagus  (Read 15315 times)

staris

• Acre
asparagus
« on: April 27, 2009, 19:48:53 »
i fancy growing some asparagus and i have a few questions, i read that it's best to plant early spring so have i missed the boat and should i wait untill next year.
also the bed i was going to use is approx 16' x5' roughly how many crowns would i need to fill it, thanks  ;D

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: asparagus
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 21:09:56 »
As a general rule, new crowns should be planted at the end of March and I don't think that decent producers/growers would lift crowns at any other time of the year.  There is a little nugget of info in my head, that I can't quite bring into focus, about a variety that can be planted in the Autumn - Pacific maybe???

The toughest thing for me was working out how many crowns for the bed size.  I ended up with 10 crowns in a bed 9x2, so with off-set rows you might be able to get in 20.

I expect an expert will be along shortly ;D

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 21:15:55 »
 iplanted mine at 18" spacings (6-7 yr ago) and  the plants have thrived.depends how much you like asp .I've got 9 plants and average 160 spears a season .

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 21:23:14 »
A tip from my (bitter) experience- make sure you get all the weeds out before you start, as it's impossible to get them out once the asparagus is growing!

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 21:25:52 »
im always hand weeding em

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 21:46:14 »
There is a little nugget of info in my head, that I can't quite bring into focus, about a variety that can be planted in the Autumn - Pacific maybe???

I think, like second crop potatoes, producers are starting to supply autumn planting crowns.  I bought some online last Autumn (names escape me for the moment, but Dutch sounding I think) to replace the seed-grown crowns I lost to the toxic manure.  My plot neighbour also got them in the Autumn from T&M's catalogue.  Glad to say, all of mine seem to have survived the cold wet winter.

staris

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 23:16:13 »
ok thanks, i'll wait untill the autumn and try and pick some up then, at least it gives me plenty time to prepare the bed  :)

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 00:08:21 »
Walked past a huge field of asparagus near Worcester the other day, on a walk along the Severn Way. Not a weed in sight. Friable, well cultivated, light soil. Spacing about 18 inches between plants and about 3 feet between rows (I thought they needed to be wider apart, but it seems not).  Lots of good looking spears coming through.
Keep Calm and Carry On

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 06:46:47 »
Does anyone know what the sensible course of action is for asparagus grown from seed?.... I have a lot of seedlings coming through in a 40-module tray sown 2-3 seeds to a module. I'm guessing potting on once they get big enough to be competing with each other or as soon as I see evidence of significant roots at the bottom, but then what?.... I'm not stuck for pots up to about 6". My plan wqas to put them into thoseand keep them there for the summer outdoors on the plot, hopefully be able to sex them once they've flowered then to put the males into their final bed later on this year. THe females I'd repot into bigger pots for the winter and use up next year from there though if I seem to have plenty I might split the females 2/3- 1/3 and plant out the 1/3, the 2/3 would be butchered next year for everything I can get from them and the 1/3 (defruited once they've flowered) the year after giving the males a two year growing time to get good and big before they start getting cropped....

Comments, advice, especially from anyone who has established an all male bed from open-pollinated seed would be very welcome.....

chrisc

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 08:26:54 »
Perhaps grow on for a year, then plant out. If you keep planting a few more seed every year then you'll have plants to replace females as you rogue them out.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 08:49:15 »
Perhaps grow on for a year, then plant out. If you keep planting a few more seed every year then you'll have plants to replace females as you rogue them out.

Hmm... I only want about 30 plants though..... assuming germination hasn't shown a bias to one or other gender I estimate I've already got that number of males anyway.....

chrisc....

adeymoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 09:14:08 »
Staris

I planted asparagus last year in July and they have generally done fine with constant watering at the beginning, but as I planted them to close to brambles (as it was the only free space on a new plot) I lost 50%. This year I moved them to a new plot in March and are now being lightly picked. To make up for losses I bought some more crowns from Moles Seeds - absolute bargain for the quantity you get - and again they are sitting in a bag of wet compost waiting for an expanded bed to be prepared. They have already sent up spears so the only problem I see is not damaging the spears.

I plant the crowns at 18" with 30" between rows but the classic method in books is two rows in a 5' bed that has been sieved.

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 11:21:23 »
i have a bed which I intend to use for asparaugus that is around 4.5ftx12ft and have read so many differing opinions regarding spacing that I am at a loss as to how many I can realistically get in a bed and therefore how many I should order....

anyone got any advice?

Also I am thinking of buying Gijnlim variety - anyone got a view on that??

Psi

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 11:32:09 »
Gijnlim variety

I  was trying to get this Asparagus as I read a good review on it and Pacific one on the net. It was out of stock with place I usually buy from  but it's in B&Q at present.
Jackie

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 12:03:58 »
Hmm... I only want about 30 plants though..... assuming germination hasn't shown a bias to one or other gender I estimate I've already got that number of males anyway.....
chrisc....

In that case I'd suggest planting out enough to make a bed after a year, and keeping the spares back in large pots. That way the females you plant first are establishing themselves while you sort out the males. I don't know whether they'd flower in pots, so you may end up doing multiple rounds of rogueing.

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 12:09:52 »
it is a raised bed by the way - so i dont need to walk between 'rows' or even have rows at all!  I just cant work out the ideal spacing...

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 12:11:23 »
Don't want to knock B&Q but asparagus is a long term investment. You want to get the best quality you can, so make sure the crowns are in good condition.

For such a long term project the problem is there are quite a variety of Asparagus from Connovers Colossal (an old variety which has an AGM from the RHS) through more modern green varieties like Gijnlim  and Pacific 2000 (both with good reviews) and purple varieties like Purple Pacific or Crimson Pacific to 'wild' varieties that are particularly slim. Also new hydrids are coming on to market all the time and they all get goo write-ups :)

I planted some Crimson Pacific a new variety from NZ (bought from Blackmoor Nursery) two weeks ago. It was just beginning to bud and spears are already up from 5 out of the 6. We already have conventional green asparagus and also I hope some of the wild Italian planted last year but that isn't showing up yet.

These chaps in Kent have had good reports in an earlier thread and stock Gijnlim but there may be quite a price differential to B&Q and they may not be selling anyway as it's a bit late (though a phone call might resolve that if you're determined).

http://www.asparagus-in-kent.co.uk/

I'm not certain, but the moment I think T&M are the only supplier providing Autumn planting crowns and T&M have had mixed reviews. However now that they have started other suppliers may join in.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 12:25:07 »
Sorry - forgot spacing.

Here's some professional advice...

'Planting asparagus crowns will reward you with up to 20 years of productive life.

Growing asparagus successfully you will need to have (or create) an area of free draining soil and plenty of space - it will lock up the bed for 10-20 years... but oh boy it will be well worth it!

When planting asparagus choose a shelterd sunny spot... strong winds can play havoc with the tall foliage which grows after the cropping period has ended.

Good drainage is essential - dig the bed thoroughly in the previous autumn/fall and dig in liberal amounts of well-rotted manure or compost. This will give the asparagus ferns access to all the nutrients they require as well as retaining moisture within the soil. Add lime if the soil is very acid. If you have tested your soil these vegetables prefer a pH of 5.5-6.5.

Dig a trench 20-25cm(8"-10") deep and 30cm(12") wide. The distance between trenches is open for debate but a good rule-of-thumb is if you have plenty of area then space the trenches 90cm(36") apart - if not then 45cm(18") will be fine. The soil you have dug out for the trench should be left along its edge as you will cover the crowns over a period of time - layer upon layer.

Space the crowns about 40cm(16") apart in the trenches on 5cm(2") high mounds of rotted compost or manure. These mounds are created only below each asparagus crown and the roots fanned out across them.'

So if you go for two lengthwise trenches, if my maths is right that would make about 18 crowns.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 12:40:02 »
Barnowl, that's an excellent site! Thank you.
Jackie

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 12:45:50 »
ah! Yes I think that sounds good and correct - just drawn it out on your advice and 18 seems to be the number - I'll order 18 then!  Thanks so much Barn owl - I appreciate you taking the time to advise!

Now...what sort of yield should I anticipate in a couple of years time?  How many spears does a crown usually produce?? 

Thanks again

Psi

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal