Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Planning permission -Sheds

(1/4) > >>

ODD:
i would appreciate some advice. We are on a long established allotment (over 100 years) and most plot holders  have put up sheds. The parish council who until quite recently were made no objection to this and indeed seemed to encourage it, have now indicated that planning permission is required for sheds over 6x4. I know that PP is not required for sheds on the garden at home under a certain size but on contacting the local District Council have been informed that "Planning permission is required for the siting of sheds or pollytunnels.  Permitted development rights relate to dwellinghouses and not such places as allotments.  Therefore anyone who wishes to erect a shed regardless of size or material will require a planning application to be submitted" .
Is it normally the case that permission has to be sought for every shed?

shadowdragon:
It could be because of pigeon keepers, some of there lofts on my allotment area (and other plots ive seen) are larger in area than my house!!!

Unwashed:
Are you sure your parish council are talking about planning permission, or are they simply saying that you need their permission?  Parish Councils don't enforce planning permission (unless they're a Quality Council with devolved responsibility, and I bet they're not) so it really has nothing to do with them.  How are they enforcing this requirement - through a change in the rules?  Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 says they can't make rule changes like that.

There are lots of catagories of permitted development.  You can mostly build a shed at home because of the permitted development that goes with the house, and I can fly a Cross of St. George from my allotment shed because of another permitted development right.  I have a very strong feeling that council-owned allotments have a permitted development right to build sheds - but I'm afraid when I tried to track it down a month ago I didn't find it.  I'll keep looking.

I asked my planning authority about this last year ago and they didn't have a problem with allotment sheds.

oakmore2:
Don't know what the planning rules are, but we're on a council run site and we didn't get told to get planning permission, just needed written permission from the council (which they gave without any hassle). Hope you find a workable solution.  ;)

Trevor_D:
It's surely up to whoever runs the site - in this case, the Council - to put in whatever bye-laws are necessary. We always insist that members apply in writing to erect any shed, greenhouse, etc. And if - like with lots of sites, including ours - plots are being split to make them smaller, you could easily end up looking more like a building site than an allotment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version