Author Topic: storing  (Read 1188 times)

misfit

• Half Acre
storing
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:06:55 »
hi all, was just wondering which veggies store well, also where do you store them for the best shelf life?
can some veg stay in the ground till you are ready to eat them if so which ones

cheers

Ian

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: storing
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 12:14:35 »
We store beetroot, carrots and parsnips in sand in the shed. Some folks leave them in the ground and pull them as needed but we don't take chances cos there are a lot of hungry things out there that think nothing of taking a bite out of your crops. We do freeze as well.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

misfit

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 12:41:04 »
thanks shirlton :)

how long do they last, storing them in sand ??

oliveoyl_25

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 12:49:13 »
I think parsnips are better left in the ground... their flavour improves when they are subject to cold/frosty conditions (something to do with sugar/starch conversion). Also leeks can stay in the ground over winter.

What fruit and veg do you want to grow... if you put a list up I'm sure you'll get advice on what works for each item... whether it be leaving in the ground, storing in clamps, freezing, pickling etc.

misfit

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 13:22:39 »
im hoping to grow and have enough left over to store  :D the following

potatoes
carrots
leeks
swede
a few cabbages
onions
beans which i presume are best frozen !

only got a small garden patch so wont be loads to worry about :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 14:35:48 »
Things keep in sand Misfit, as long as it is cold... so they will be sprouting now if you hadn't used them...  :-\

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 15:24:11 »
Spuds in Hessian sacks somewhere cool.
Stagger the carrots to pick through the year.
The same with cabbages.
Leeks left in the ground.
Onions hanging up in netsin a cool airy place.
Beans as you said.
Swede I'd leave in but can be stored in sand.
If you've only a small garden you won't have much to store, try growing in tubs, buckets or bags where ever you can fit them in.
P.S.   Don't grow veg that will take most of the year to grow because it will take your ground up for most of the year and grow things like radishes and lettuces as they are quick growers and be out the ground before other veg get established.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 16:35:31 »
Hi Misfit, Hi all  :)

I am still eating last years carrots which are stored in spent tomato compost in a metal water tank with glass lid in my potting shed. The metal container is to keep rodents out. I had spuds in store but when the potting shed warmed up they went off really quickly, the ones I left in the ground are still good. I still have onions in nets in a brick outside cupboard at home, but they are now starting to grow green tops. My parsnips are still good in the ground but won`t last much longer as they are growing new tops. Spinach. Kale and Chard have survived the winter as growing plants and I`m eating the new growth. I had new growth and baby leaves from old cabbages for most of the winter. The beans I dried on the plant and kept in kitchen are very good. I also make jams, pickles and chutneys, and recently got a second freezer for the outside cupboard but that will have the unfortunate effect of warming it up so it will be harder to keep food fresh over-winter in there next year.

The key is to keep food in the dark, cold but not frozen, root veg - damp but not too damp and everything away from rodents. Tomatoes will stay fresh green in the fridge at the end of the season and ripen on the windowsill as you need them. I kept squash in the greenhouse in the winter but the supply slowly rotted away. But they make good compost.

Best of luck, Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 16:46:12 »
We finished our stored veg about 2weeks ago. The few we had left in store we froze before they started sprouting. Storing does leave more room in the freezer for stuff that can't be stored
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 17:34:37 »
we have an old freezer, no door but we put toy boxes in it, full of damp peat, only got beetroot and celeriac left now, still eating the sprouted leaves for salads  ;D

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 18:07:22 »
I still have a couple od stored butternut squashes from last season and a freezer full of runner beans.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 19:02:32 »
Scousers you've still got celeriac on the go, what time do you want me round for dinner on Sunday.  :P     ;D ;D ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 19:10:46 »
think they might be a bit woody now ck, we're eating the leaves  ;D
ya can come fer yer sundy lunch though, egg and bacon on the plot, providing you help with the plant sale  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 19:14:55 »
Hang about on second thoughts I've got to wax my dolphin this weekend.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal