Author Topic: New Allotment, Lots of Broken Glass!  (Read 4377 times)

KateM

• Not So New ...
New Allotment, Lots of Broken Glass!
« on: April 25, 2009, 18:55:03 »
Hi,

My oh and I finally managed to get an allotment at the beginning of this month and he has spent ages digging it to try and get rid of the weeds and grass.  Trouble is, the more he digs, the more broken glass he finds buried in the soil.  I'm trying to find out if this is normal and whether we're doing the right thing by removing it, it seems dangerous but wondered if there was a reason for it.  It's really slowing the whole process down and it's so disheartening every time we find yet another patch of glass.

Any help or advice will be really welcome as neither of us really know what we're doing!!! Lol!
Never thought I'd enjoy the allotment quite as much as I am!  Off to mash some home grown spuds to eat with home grown courgette and home grown beans!  Can it get any better than this?! :)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: New Allotment, Lots of Broken Glass!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 19:08:36 »
Perhaps someone once had cold frames or a greenhouse on your plot, and after these were abandoned they broke.

I can only think you should keep a bucket handy for throwing glass in as you dig, then dispose of it safely periodically.

I hope you get to the end of it eventually!

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 19:13:45 »

Can't think what benefits glass has in the soil KateM,   I would get rid of it as you dig,

-- gloves  etc,   Found an old razor blade in my plot that got my fingers ! [ no gloves  ! ]

After finding glass everywhere, someone told me that years ago it was a rubbish dump ?

One bed reveiled loads of ' iron ' material  --  locks, bed springs, brackets - you name it.

was suggested that the previous tenant had buried it all to give iron to the soil !?

There you go, bet peeps have found a lot more in thier plots  too.  

Congrats on your allotment,  keep going and don't be disheartend  --   do a section at

a time then plant it  --   cover the rest untill you get to it  --   can take up to 3 yrs to get

it to how you want it.   Take a season at a time,        ;)

floss xxx

Hertfordshire,   south east England

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 19:19:01 »
There are people on my site who bury inorganic rubbish including glass.  When I cleared my plot I found large broken sheets of glass wrapped in bin bags buried at one end.  All over the plot I still find small shards every time I turn the soil over.

If the glass is shallow enough to be a safety problem, all you can do is keep picking it out.  If you're digging deeper than you will in future (e.g. to get weed roots out), then you could leave it where it is.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 19:48:13 »
When we cleared our plot it was like sorting the washing out at home. One bag for general rubbish, 1 for metal, 1 for glass & hundreds for weeds etc. We only have a half plot & the top part has never been cultivated & that was where the bulk of the glass was. We still keep finding it.
Janet

upnorth

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 20:12:23 »
Hi kate
Sorry to hear you have same problem I decieded to go for raised beds made from scaffold boards  then filled with compost as it was a nightmare separating glass from soil
Regards steve

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 00:21:40 »
I also found several black bags full of glass, broken 1970's kitchen tiles and general rubbish buried on my plot when I took it over, 13 trips to the local dump later......

The worst was when we took down the old shed which had almost demolished itself....underneath were loads of glass bottles, medicine bottles, and of course lots of broken greenhouse glass........ ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

KateM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 08:41:48 »
Thank you for those comments, it's nice to know we're not alone!  15 buckets of glass so far and counting!  Down there again later today to do some planting in the area we've de-glassed so it's not all bad.
Never thought I'd enjoy the allotment quite as much as I am!  Off to mash some home grown spuds to eat with home grown courgette and home grown beans!  Can it get any better than this?! :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 08:44:54 »
You've done the hard work now Kate, so you now get to do the nice bit as a reward!

Don't overdo things if you are 32 weeks pregnant though.....(couldn't help but notice your signature....midwife by trade!) I know it's tempting when you feel well! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 08:45:30 »
KateM, weare experiencing similar..I find those gloves with rubbery pal and fingers (ones that say wont let bramples jab you :)  ) give some protection. Good luck with it!
Jackie

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 10:07:25 »
congrats on your getting your new plot,keep up the good work! you will eventually get all the glass out,if you havnt already!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 10:11:52 »
Welcome to the site Kate, good luck with the baby, and as Deb says don't over do it. I'd spotted the tag line too. (Yes you are... but a tiny spot of insanity never hurt anyone!!)

Sadly most plots seem to have a glass mine somewhere...  :-X

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 11:41:56 »
Sure it's not unusual and all you can do is get rid of it bit by bit. Loads of glass on my plot from a rotten old greenhouse that collapsed before I took on the plot.
Keep Calm and Carry On

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 17:34:18 »
found loads of glass on my plot and all sorts of rubbish including a 4ft x 3 foot road sign !! ;D

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 18:11:07 »
I had the same problem. Some turnip had buried  few black bag fulls of glass, it was too difficult to seperate from the soil so made raised beds on it. Just gotta remember not to plants spuds in that part or they may come out ready chipped!!!!    :'(
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 08:32:36 »
Hi and welcome to A4A
I had the reverse problem, no glass to speak of (so far) on the plot, but found sheets of the stuff in the raised beds in my garden? So now I know the guys I bought the house from were numpties for sure  ::)

shadowdragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 09:17:09 »
Apparently on my site, Plot holders use broken glass to put down rat holes to deter the rats when they were over run with them a few years ago, I am finding hotspots of broken glass as I tidy my plot up.
People kept saying I had lost the plot, but found it again when I got my Allotment.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 15:42:03 »
I can't for the life of me fathom out why anyone would bury bags of glass  :(   ???  :-\  numptys indeed and a few other words but I'll save them for watershed.  :-X      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 16:17:35 »
As they say Kev... out of sight, out of mind... which they most definitely were...  :-X

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 16:55:36 »
I can't for the life of me fathom out why anyone would bury bags of glass  :(   ???  :-\  numptys indeed and a few other words but I'll save them for watershed.  :-X      ;D ;D ;D

As they say Kev... out of sight, out of mind... which they most definitely were...  :-X

Completely agree, but why not just take it to the dump? I know they had a car so that wasn't the problem. And I still have 2 more to clear and I know I'll find sheets of glass ........ Grrrrrrrrr

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal