Author Topic: Celery  (Read 1033 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Celery
« on: April 23, 2009, 22:38:42 »
Can anyone help me with growing celery,  I grew it in yoghurt pots and planted it out last week under some plastic bottles as protection.  Can I remove the protection, or must I wait, I have already lost some runner beans not because of cold but because I cooked them. :(

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Celery
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 22:43:41 »
Celery plants like moist compost so make sure they do not dry up in the heat wave. I would leave the bottles on until the plants reach the sides but experiment with removing the tops if they get too hot. The bottles do help to keep the slugs at bay for a while until one tunnels its way underneath.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 22:51:43 »
Currently no problems with slugs. ;D  Pig ate them.  It will be interesting to see how long before they arrive.   

I have a lot of recycled compost do you think they would like a mulch of that, mixed in quite a lot of manure in a layer six inches or so below the plants.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 22:54:48 »
I'm sure they would love your mulch. You need to consider though how you want your celery, natural or tied up and blanched.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 23:19:42 »
This sounds rather technical.  I was hoping to get some tall stalks,  in the past I have grown it like parsley so it is more like a tasty herb,  but I have sown them in a block so I can get them taller.  What would you suggest, they are tiny at the moment.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal