Author Topic: Carrot Sucess  (Read 3192 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Carrot Sucess
« on: September 16, 2004, 21:51:05 »
After years of struggling to grow decent carrots, I have at last managed it!

Some of you may remember i was going to try a 'new' trick  to overcome germination problems, by sowing the seed in toilet roll inners then 'planting' the tubes whole.  

Well this i did, and i pulled the first of the (admittedly) small crop today. I am very pleased with the result. Even has a few with my evening meal tonight to try them - Mmm! taste nice too!

The only problem is i think I have sufeerd an attack of root fly on a few of the carrots. A couple of roots I pulled were bored into and starting to decay.

What do carrot root fly (larvae) actualy look like?, since a couple of roots had clusters of v small grey bugs at the base of the leaves.

Hugh_Jones

Re:Carrot Sucess
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 22:10:43 »
They are little white threadlike things, somewhat less than a centimetre long and slow moving.  I suspect that the grey bug-like things that you found around the carrot tops are in fact a form of aphis which attacks carrot foliage.

You should have used fleece or mesh as tim and I keep telling you.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 22:10:53 »
Sounds like you have carrot aphid (at the base of the leaves)and carrot fly (which bore tunnels in the roots). The fly larvae are pale yellow maggots.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 22:15:05 »
Well mine look white, John, even if yours are pale yellow

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 21:54:18 »
They are little white threadlike things, somewhat less than a centimetre long and slow moving.  I suspect that the grey bug-like things that you found around the carrot tops are in fact a form of aphis which attacks carrot foliage.

You should have used fleece or mesh as tim and I keep telling you.

So I probably had aphids. Definitely grey and aphid - like. I have probale had a slight rootfly attack on a couple of roots as well, since the roots were bored into. I dont recal seeing any white maggots though.

I would have used fleece, but the carrots were abit of an afterthought/experiment, and were planted right next to tomatoes (the ones that got blight incidentaly). Thus it would have been difficult to use fleece insuch a situation. Next year however i plan to grow carrots on a bigger scale, so WILL be using fleece to protect them.

PS Dont presume we have all seen your previous advice/postings on this subject. We havent!  ::)

Thanks though for the advice.  :)

tina

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 01:45:30 »
I tried the fleece trick. I sowed seeds, left fleece over them, and was then too scared to lift fleece up in case flies got in.  :-\

Eventually the fleece lifted up as there were so many things growing under it!

Spent an hour one day pulling all the very large weeds out by hand, to reveal three rows of carrots.

They are enormous!!!! Didn't know carrots could grow that big! One carrot does the four of us for a meal, but they're not woody.

Beginners luck!!

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 02:16:29 »
Beginners luck? You did everything correctly so no luck involved. Your dedication simply paid off. Get someone to pat you on the back if you can't do it yourself.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 12:22:38 »
And it`s nice to know that somebody takes a bit of notice

tina

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 17:10:17 »
 ;)

Aw, thanks guys!! Actually I think that dedication is rather inaccurate, more like 'plant it and use weeds as useful mulch' !! ;D ;D

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2004, 16:03:24 »
Tina,

I am more than a touch envious, as I  "harvested" my carrots today, due to my 7yr old daughter being desperate to see the results.

I have probably put her off gardening for life!!  What a miserable result - biggest about 2" and none of them straight... all were put  into compost heap in disgust :'(aro

Will DEFINITELY try your techinique next year.

Well done you ;D

Debs

tina

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2004, 17:38:15 »
Well, it DID work, but I'm not sure the other plot holders at my site approve of my lack of hoeing!!

Better luck next time.

By the way, I grew 'Autumn King'. Very nice cooked, but not very nice raw, taste a bit 'soapy', so will try two varieties next year.

T.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2004, 20:51:19 »
Just pulled our 1st yellow carrot(yellowstone) tasted a bit hot?! our 1st yellow one with 2 legs and a willy! but not as good as E-J`s ;)

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2004, 23:34:17 »
Went to my lottie today for first time in nearly 4 weeks. Couldn't believe the state of things!

My dear Dad passed away on the 2nd September after being admitted to Broomfield Hospital on the 26th August and I've been in Chelmsford ever since with my Mum & brother. Feeling sad and bereft, he was not only a wonderful husband and father but my very best friend - how I shall miss him.

Gathered loads and loads of produce - but the thing that amazed me most were my carrots.....I didn't sow these until the 30th June (I've been late with everything) but before I could get to/see the roots, I had to literally pull off loads & loads of the wonderful green feathery growth.

The variety is Autumn King and I just can't believe how they've grown.....enjoyed some raw with a salad for my tea, took big bunch to my daughter-in-law and have more than enough for at least 2 or more meals.

Must be all the rain we had making them grow like this. Wish I knew how to post photos (then I'd take some & show you). Picked what is probably my last marrow - well big courgette really and massive radishes which to my surprise were not only huge but very, very hot!!

Couldn't see the dried haulms of my potatoes, the ground was so covered with weed etc. but just dug until I found them. A wonderful supply.

It's nice to be back (altho not for long) will try to keep up with this wonderful site - I may not post a lot but love reading everything - especially the recipes!

Maggie

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2004, 23:57:14 »
Oh Maggie, how my heart goes out to you.  I am sooooooo very very sorry for your loss.  Having lost my darling dad 4 years ago....well....words cannot express the feelings so we are thinking of you.

With our love.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 00:59:23 »
Sorry to hear that Maggie,my other half(Becky)`s dad died in Jan but still missing him so much, he was a great mate to me. toured canada,alaska,norfolk broads and did the North downs way(135 miles in 8.5 days) he was 72. so fit(Alheimers) so nasty. Did a para jump a few years ago aged 68! from 12000ft
Just wish he was here with us to enjoy the new allotment. He would have loved it and so I know how you feel...
Enough of me pouring out heart, since you reminded me! :'(
Have fun with your plot, it doesn`t take long for the weeds to pop up when you turn your back for a few seconds! have fun... ;)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2004, 10:25:14 »
Maggie my heart goes out to you, my beloved Dad died 12 years ago and not a day goes by without me wishig he was still with us! :'( My garden became my solace, and it was weed free for about a year, a good way to get rid of the anger I found was to yank out weeds!!
Enjoy your lottie, a good place t talk to our departed loved ones I find, and remember the good times! DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2004, 11:31:07 »
Thanks so much to Emma Jane, Andy & D.P. for your kind messages - it really is a most awful time - at the moment don't think it's really sunk in!.....

Your absolutely right about the garden - not having one myself, the first place I just wanted to go was to my lottie.....just to be there really (altho picking all that wonderful produce was a big bonus) - it was on the lottie almost a month ago that I had the call from my brother to 'go' a.s.a.p.

I find it a huge comfort - thanks everyone - Maggie  :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal