Author Topic: which plants?  (Read 1285 times)

starting out

• Not So New ...
which plants?
« on: April 21, 2009, 14:45:59 »
I have today been asked by my sons nursery to provide them with some seeds/seedlings as they want to grow things in containers with the kids. They dont have many large pots but I have some that I can give them which are what I would put my tomatoes and cucumbers in.

What would you suggest I give them and at what point should I give them the seedlings as they dont have a greenhouse and plan to grow indoors and outside in the nursery garden.

I have seed potatoes, tomato plants that are still small although coming on nicely, cucumbers that are going great and are about 4 or 5 inches tall now. Squash that are also about the same as the cucumbers along with a few pumpkins. I also have some broccoli and cabbage that are about an inch or 2 tall in seed trays that I suppose I could maybe repot in 3 inch pots. Would that be suitable? Ive just planted all my carrots and parsnips up this weekend so would have to set some more away again, would it be best to just give them some seeds or start them off in say toilet roll tubes or plant them straight into some sort of container for them to grow in there. Ive also got other stuff like salad and herbs and stuff I cant even remember. Oh I have peas too and beans and sweetcorn.

I just dont know what to do. This is my first year with an allotment so im still learning myself never mind teaching the kids  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: which plants?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 14:52:17 »
we gave lots of seedlings to our local school last year, they could do with getting the spuds in soon, cabbages etc , we have ours in the ground now, salads etc, we have ours out now, squash etc end of the month, unless they have cloches..could some of the older children sow parsnip seeds in containers outside, ?

starting out

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 14:59:23 »
Yes im going to take the potatoes in tomorrow, not sure if I have anything big enough to grow them in or if I should take an old compost bag or two. Would they have to use compost with this methid or just general soil?

I already have some cabbages set away in seed trays so I was going to pot some up as they want to grow them in containers. Should I put them straight into a big pot or a small one first?

Ive got loads of salad still as seeds in packets. Its a mixed variety so ill send a pack of that and will try to find something suitable for them to plant that in.

I have squash that are already potted up so should I take those now or wait until they are bigger? I just have them on my windowsill at the moment.

They havnt got any cloches.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 15:07:40 »
think it's a bit early for squash yet, I'd leave them for a few weeks yet, spuds we earth up with ordinary soil but we add a bit of pelleted chicken manure, maybe not suitable for little 'uns..don't know if they can get free black buckets from asda, or florists, 1 per bucket's good, compost bags are good, rolled down and a couple of spuds in.
if the cabbages are a bit small, I'd pot them on into small pots first
they could start with the salads, maybe some radish.bit early for toms and cucs outside.
they're going to have so much fun, thanks to you  ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 16:38:52 »
I seem to recall (60+ years ago) as school kids we were given broad beans to grow in a jar of water.

In this way we could see/watch the germination process.

Perhaps the younger ones on these forums can update this procedure (assuming it needs updating)

Rainbow

• Not So New ...
  • Plymouth, Devon
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 19:18:00 »
Just a thought but is it a school nursery or an all year round one ? I work as a Teaching Assistant in a school nursery and they asked me for some ideas of things to plant so I gave them some carrots, radish,beetroot etc because you need to keep in mind that they break up in July and so things need to be harvested by then! Also fast growing things keep there attention better!

Rainbow

starting out

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 19:27:57 »
Its a school nursery and it had crossed my mind too that they break up in July and I wondered what would happen to the plants.

So if I set away some carrots now would they be able to harvest them before they break up. I told you im new and havnt got a clue  ;D My raddish are all sown now but ill buy them another pack as I know they are quick. I read the packet when I planted them at the weekend  ;) I have some beetroot seeds left that I can give them. What else is fast growing? Would the mixed salad be ok?

Rainbow

• Not So New ...
  • Plymouth, Devon
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 19:44:57 »
I think that early carrot varieties mature in about 12 weeks (I may be wrong) so if you get them in quickly you may be okay. Even if they dont mature fully you will still have something for the small people to eat!!!!! Lettuce would be good too.

Rainbow

nittynora

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 19:47:49 »
I  have been doing a bit of gardening with my daughters reception class.
I echo what previous replies have said in that in mid July they break up.
I borrowed a water /sand trough of theirs which was not being used and drilled holes in the bottom - crocks and bags of compost. It's a great height for them and we can all stand round. I got some short stumpy carrots - i think it said suitable for patios... they are growing well. We are trying peas too - got them out getting pea sticks.  Radishes are good too - growing well.
We started with cress actually - simple in polystyrene cups or wet tissue and then alfalfa sprouts.
Tumbling tomatoes in hanging baskets??
Salad leaves are good in window boxes and grow quickly.
They all planted a sunflower and i brought them home over the easter hols so we can stick them in bigger pots next week.
It sound adventurous to do cabbages and squash - just because of the time frame. Our potatoes went into small black sacks in March - Grow Your Own sent a package for a competition - you could try them for next year - website as above.
Sorry for rambling...hope of some use - good luck! It's really rewarding seeing their little faces when they see plants growing - can't wait to harvest!
Sarah

starting out

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 20:23:05 »
Thanks for all the advice. Im puzzled as to why they want cabbage too when they break up in July. Tumbling tomatoes are a great idea and I already have some of those growing. I have managed to secure some of the florist buckets for them so ill get those tomorrow. If I put one seed potato in one pot what will I need to do? Do I just put a small amount of soil in the bottom and add more when the foliage comes through or fill it and just let it grow?

Would these florist buckets be ok for carrots?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 20:38:13 »
there are lots of peeps on here who grow in containers, Georgie has done a 'potatoes in containers' thread in edibles, lots of info on it  :)
maybe they're thinking of winter cabbage ?

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 20:50:32 »
at school at the moment we have
peas
carrots
salad greens
spring onions
potatoes in comst bags (weare earthing up with shredded paper and straw)
sun flowers
cabbage
we will have kale
cuecumber
toms.

we are alot further south than you.
good luck

lbb

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 21:45:16 »
Cut & come again lettuce leaves such as Salad Bowl or Lolla Rossa.  These can grow in as little as 8 weeks.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 21:58:12 »
The baby leaf mixes can be ready in 5-6 weeks.... :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal